Pleco health/diet

• daddadoo7
  • daddadoo7's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 created the topic: Pleco health/diet

Guys ive had the green phantom for several months now and I can get this guy to eat. Ive seen him eat tufts of algae but thats it. Today he was grazing on what I assume was bio film off the gravel after I fed everyone else so threw in some algae wafer no good then I thre in some pellets that actually hit him in the head no good passed right over them. I tried slices of cucumber and zucchini nothing. Today I cut a chunk of zucchini and weighed it down with a fork and he hasnt gone near it. What gives ?

I dont want the same thing to happen with the new gold nugget. The lfs said all they fed was zucchini but he hasnt touched the slice I put in

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Pleco health/diet

My pleco will sometimes not touch zucchini or other veg for a whole day before he chows down on it. I use a clip/suction device to adhere it to the glass. Try placing the food in at night when it is dark and no one is watching. That might help. You may have to leave it in for a day or two. I find that once he gets the taste for it, he will start to devour it. Mine will also eat eggplant apples and carrots, and usually with a few pellets or pellet fragments wedged into the flesh. Try lettuce too maybe (esp. romaine).

Don't wast your time feeding cucumber. It has little to zero nutritional value.

Here is Mr. P with Poseidon showing the veg clip. A couple of months old now.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Pleco health/diet

Try apple cores tied to a rock...my pleco goes nuts for them. Likes Tetra algae wafers too....won't touch Hikari. Try FD seaweed too...after the lights go out for 1/2 an hour.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Thank you received: 237

Noddy replied the topic: Pleco health/diet

The fish is omnivorous and easy to feed. Although an effective algae eater, it should be given a varied diet of prepared foods.

Well, thats what planet catfish tells me.
To be honest i lost my first Golden nugget as well as my yellow phantom. mine refused the zuchini as well. Tried carrot, spinachn couliflower, still i lost them. Try feeding shrimp, some carnivorous pellets, some crab, even bloodworms. yours may like a meaty diet better.

I weigh down half a zuchinni for the big plecos, you could stick some algae wafers and some carivore pellets into the zuchinni.
Place close to his hide out, and let us know how things turn out.
different brand of plecofood may help too.

freaking L200 should be able to reach 25 years of age, fingers crossed.
What did he get for food where you got him?
Is there any driftwood available?

I understand your fear, for plecos are detrinivores as well, means they will eat the poo of other fish to survive.
But that wont allow them to reach full maturity.

• daddadoo7
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:Pleco health/diet

Thanks guys I have tried all of these things feeding at night slices whole peices hikari omegaone havent tried apples or carrots though. There is always poop but he doesnt eat. And it does bother me I feel like im missing something I got the l200 from rapps will find out what he fed.
The gold nugget ate zucchini at the lfs but still hasnt touched it.

• Thank you received: 158

Goranothos replied the topic: Re:Pleco health/diet

daddadoo7 wrote: Thanks guys I have tried all of these things feeding at night slices whole peices hikari omegaone havent tried apples or carrots though. There is always poop but he doesnt eat. And it does bother me I feel like im missing something I got the l200 from rapps will find out what he fed.
The gold nugget ate zucchini at the lfs but still hasnt touched it.

Sorry your having trouble Frank. My common loves raw zuchinni. It's amazing how fast he finds it, almost like I trigger an alarm when I put it in there. I also give Tetra algae wafers in the middle of they night and they are always gone the next morning, but I can't guarantee that Fred didn't get them.

Maybe you could try boiling the zuchinni for a short time to soften it up a little.

“Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.” -Mike Tyson

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Re:Pleco health/diet

You can try the gel foods by repashy or NLS made for herbivores.

• daddadoo7
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

I just droped in the apple core will the sugar from the apple mess with the water ?

Doug if I blanch it dory will just make a huge mess

Rock will take a look at them.later tonight

Rock what is the stuff how is it fed ? Seem like all the fish can benefit from it especially the viejas and the pearsei

• daddadoo7
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

Rock would it be ok to treat the gold nugget with parasite guard.
He in qt with the pearsei and I treat all new fish with pg but im reading the the gold nuggets are on the sensitive side

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Re:Pleco health/diet

Yes you can treat with parasite guard, use half the amount first (1 tablet per 20g). It's really the acriflavin that might affect him, and not the metro or other ingredients in PG. If you are still hesitant, get API General Cure and treat the full dosage.

From NLS I would provide AlgaeGel

www.amazon.com/New-Life-Spectrum-AlgaeGEL-Food/dp/B00H89WLQW...ie=UTF8&qid=1422031295&sr=8-2&keywords=new+life+spectrum+gel

from Repashy I would provide Super Green

www.kensfish.com/aquarium-supplies/fish-food-feeders/repashy-super-green.html

The gels can stay in the water for 24 hours, unlike pellets or wafers. All the fish can benefit if they eat it.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.114 seconds