HITH or nostrils

• UNC-CH
  • UNC-CH's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH created the topic: HITH or nostrils

When taking pictures of my Oscar yesterday I couldn't help but wonder if there was some HITH developing around his/her nostrils. I decided to look back at pictures taken in september to see if there was a difference between then and now and to get some better pictures to use for comparison/diagnosis. However, the pictures make his nostrils look different ... most likely because the camera's not in focus. It also doesn't show the dimensional structure of the nostrils. They come to a sharp edge pointing outward ... not like what I'd expect from HITH which would be nostrils eroded at the opening. Still, there is white on and surrounding the nostrils. Please tell me if you think this is the beginning stages of HITH. I have pictures from September, yesterday, and today.

September 25

Yesterday and Today

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 218

DBLN8 replied the topic: HITH or nostrils

The 2nd to last and the last pic seem to show some nasal erosion and pitting between the eyes, but it could be the light.
The following user(s) said Thank You: UNC-CH

• Thank you received: 163

tehmole replied the topic: HITH or nostrils

has it bumped into something and it healed up? i know you're on top of you water perms ... so i would not rule it to be HITH

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: HITH or nostrils

DBLN8 wrote: The 2nd to last and the last pic seem to show some nasal erosion and pitting between the eyes, but it could be the light.

I noticed that too, but think that it is probably just the angle and lighting. Definitely something to monitor, but I wouldn't say it is any thing at the moment.

• UNC-CH
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

UNC-CH replied the topic: HITH or nostrils

tehmole wrote: has it bumped into something and it healed up? i know you're on top of you water perms ... so i would not rule it to be HITH

No. He's always bumping into something but nothing serious enough to have caused an injury. On a few occasions, nitrates have gotten above 40ppm. I pretty much worried myself into assuming it was the beginning stage of HITH, because either way I'll be doing the same thing ... getting nitrate down lower and keeping it lower from now on. Still, I'm very happy to hear that you guys believe it's probably not HITH.

BTW - I've noticed this in pictures of other Oscars, but mine especially has a lot of white around the top of his eyes. Is that normal?

• Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: HITH or nostrils

I'd be a bit concerned, because to me that looks like it *could* be the start of something, but it's one of those things where it's too early to really tell through photos.

Either way you've got the right idea. The stunting that occurred early in your O's life may have just made him more sensitive to nitrates than other oscars, so the nitrates hovering around 20ppm is just high enough to cause problems.

I'd vote getting your nitrate down to <10ppm and keeping it there, and also upping how much vitachem you give him :) treat assuming the worst I guess. Not like you'll do your O any harm by giving him more vitamins and cleaner water anyway.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: HITH or nostrils

Well...I don't think you will like to hear what I have to say...but that is indeed HITH, based on what I see. There is erosion not only in the nostril area but also between the eyes & the lateral line has pitting. Not horrible, & can be halted & even reversed w/ diligence. Step up your WC regimen, both in frequency & volume....& start feeding FD krill marinated overnight in Boyd's. (I should have stock in that company, I advertise it so much). I would also try adding a Pothos filter to keep nitrates down.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• UNC-CH
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

UNC-CH replied the topic: HITH or nostrils

I already have the krill in the refrigerator marinating. I'll be doubling the water changes, maybe tripling in the immediate future. Should I also try the soaked pellets in epsom salt/distilled water? I gave him some for the first time today and he didn't eat them all ... made a mess.

• Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: HITH or nostrils

Pellets soaked in epsom salt is safe for fish as far as I'm aware so it won't hurt at all. Try just dropping one in at a time for him and only feed 4 or so.

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: HITH or nostrils

Definitely add the pothos plant filter as Jack suggests, if you want to reduce your nitrates, or even just throw a whole plant, roots and all in the tank, if need be. They really do work. The plants will last longer in the filter, but you can get more roots into the water column if you just put them directly in the tank. I kind of like the look myself. Darth Vader seems to like it too and often just hangs out next to it when he is chilling.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.136 seconds