HITH or nostrils

• UNC-CH
  • UNC-CH's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: HITH or nostrils

I have a pothos and I have an extra filter now that I installed the canister. Perfect ... will definitely do. I may ask later about some of the specifics ... how it's supported, etc. Time to turn in for the night.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• UNC-CH
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

I did a 75% wc early this morning ... another one tomorrow and nitrates should be around 5ppm. Afterwards I'll do what's needed to keep the nitrate under 10ppm. I'm thinking 50% every other day but I'll have to see what the test kit says.

I'm also going to get that thick gravel bed out of my tank ... I can never get all the waste out of there, cut down on feeding, feed krill soaked in boyd's, and add a pothos plant. I'll also try some epsom soaked pellets if he'll eat them.

Thanks for all the responses. I feel very lucky to have caught it early. Had I not taken pictures of the filstar xpl to post, I would have missed it.

• Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: HITH or nostrils

I know with sand that if the layer is too thick gas pockets can form, and if disturbed send ammonia etc into the water. I also know from the lab that a thick gravel layer, when stirred up can cloud up the water something horrible with god knows what kind of waste.

I'd be tempted to temporarily relocate your O while you take it all out, wash it thoroughly and do (effectively) a 100% w/c, just adding enough gravel back to make a thin layer.

I'm guessing that gravel layer would be a large reason why your nitrates climb so quickly too. Tank maintenance should become a lot easier with it gone.
The following user(s) said Thank You: UNC-CH

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: HITH or nostrils

I remember having a tank full of pictus catfish that had a thick layer of gravel. Man did that get messy when I had to inevitably clean it. I'll second Lamm, suggestion about more or less complete tear down and restart with 100% fresh water. Your guy (what's his name? I forget) will appreciate it, no doubt.
The following user(s) said Thank You: UNC-CH

• UNC-CH
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Lammergeier wrote: I know with sand that if the layer is too thick gas pockets can form, and if disturbed send ammonia etc into the water. I also know from the lab that a thick gravel layer, when stirred up can cloud up the water something horrible with god knows what kind of waste.

I'd be tempted to temporarily relocate your O while you take it all out, wash it thoroughly and do (effectively) a 100% w/c, just adding enough gravel back to make a thin layer.

I'm guessing that gravel layer would be a large reason why your nitrates climb so quickly too. Tank maintenance should become a lot easier with it gone.

I'm not sure how much waste is down there ... maybe a little, probably a lot. I wouldn't be surprised if it was like a sewer on the bottom. When I gravel vac, I do get a lot of cloudy (smokey) water that comes up from the gravel bed. I'm looking forward to having a thin layer. You're right ... it'll make maintenance so much easier and getting that waste out will keep nitrates down. I'm not looking forward to moving my oscar though. If I can do it without moving him I will. I might have to though. I have a 55 gallon I can use.

Poseidon2.0 wrote: I remember having a tank full of pictus catfish that had a thick layer of gravel. Man did that get messy when I had to inevitably clean it. I'll second Lamm, suggestion about more or less complete tear down and restart with 100% fresh water. Your guy (what's his name? I forget) will appreciate it, no doubt.

It is impossible to clean completely. This morning was the last time I'll have to vacuum that gravel. :) His name? ... Sometimes I call him Little Roy.

I just checked my nitrate and was surprised to find it was at or below 5ppm. That's after doing the 75% wc this morning and a 50% Monday. That really surprises me. I thought it would be higher. In any case, once the thick gravel is gone keeping the nitrate at this level will be much easier.

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: HITH or nostrils

That's great news! Must be a relief to know that you can keep those dirty nitrates under control. B)

• Thank you received: 15

LeafsFan replied the topic: HITH or nostrils

The thin gravel makes a big difference, I have it in my oscars tank and not only does it hold less waste it makes it much less dreaded doing the gravel vac. Not to mention my OCD will not allow me to do a water change without doing a full gravel vac, makes me feel like my water change was useless lol

• gorgoroth
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Evil IT Administrator
  • Thank you received: 80

gorgoroth replied the topic: HITH or nostrils

LeafsFan wrote: The thin gravel makes a big difference, I have it in my oscars tank and not only does it hold less waste it makes it much less dreaded doing the gravel vac. Not to mention my OCD will not allow me to do a water change without doing a full gravel vac, makes me feel like my water change was useless lol

can I Hire you to clean my malawi tank? I will mention it has about 400 kilo of stones in it forming caves, crannies, ... where waste can get ;)

160 gallon south american
190 gallon malawi

• Thank you received: 15

LeafsFan replied the topic: HITH or nostrils

That would be tourture, it would take me hours I would have to get every inch of gravel lol

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.084 seconds