White spot??

• wilde
  • wilde's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 0

wilde created the topic: White spot??

Hi can anyone help me with this, I have large white patches (looks fungal) on 3 oscars but no other fish, I have been treating for white spot but looks more serious to me?? Thanks in advance

How do I add a picture plz??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: White spot??

That's probably not white-spot. White-spot or ich looks like very small white grains of sand on your fish. So the treatment will not help this. Large white patches could be a number of things but not white-spot. We'll know more when we see the pic.

To upload a picture to the forum, (on pc or tablet)

1) goto photobucket.com and open a free account
2) upload your picture to photobucket
3) copy the direct link and paste the address into your message here

On a phone, you can use the talkatap app to upload pictures to the forum

• wilde
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

wilde replied the topic: Re:White spot??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• wilde
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

Thank you

I'd like for another member to confirm this, but that looks like HITH/LLE. It looks a little different from other cases I've seen, but I don't know what else it might be.

You say all 3 fish have this? Are many of the white spots between the eyes and on the head? Do they look cratered like something is eating away at the Oscar?

A few questions to help us better understand ... what size tank are they in? What size and how long have you had the oscars? Do you change the water often and how much? Do you have a test kit?

• wilde
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

It looks like something is eating away and all 3 have these marks in between their eyes/top of the head, 2 out of 3 are worse but yes all 3, I also have an adult oscar but he seems fine

I have a trigon 190, the oscars are approx. 3 inches I've had them around 3 months, also I have an adult, 2 parrot fish, 2 firemouth, 2 plec and 1 catfish

Recently a test showed a low ph and high nitrite, I was advised to do a water change and add bicarb of soda to raise the ph, the ph is now fine but still showing nitrites so I have just done a 50% water change, is there anything else I should be doing??

I do a 30% water change every 7-10 days

• Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: Re:White spot??

I have no idea where to begin. This is legitimately animal cruelty. I'm honestly horrified but I'll try and help. A q and a format might do.

Q: Animal cruelty?!?! Why?
A: You are keeping 4 oscars, 2 parrot fish, 2 firemouths, 2 plecos and a catfish in a 190L (50 gal), triangular (so less swimming room) tank. To keep all of your fish alive long term you need a tank larger than 400 gallons (1500L).

Q: Why is that bad?
A: Your fish are choking on their own waste, don't have enough room to swim properly, and 3 of your oscars have hole in the head and (to me) look like they aren't far from death. To put it in another way, this is equivalent to you being locked in a bedroom closest with 10 other people and all defecating on each other. How long do you think you'd stay healthy in that environment?

Q: What do I do about it?
A: Take all your fish back to a pet store and rehome them, and start again after you do a few months of research, at least. This is honestly one of the worst cases of overstocking I've ever read on here. I'm surprised your fish are still alive and there is no advice I can give you that will undo the damage you have done to those fish. 30% every 10 days wouldn't be enough water being changed if you had one oscar in a 75 gallon tank. I'm not even going to touch why you'd add bicarb of soda to a fish tank with a 10ft pole.

Q: Is there anything else I should be doing??
A: Rehome your fish immediately. Get and read this book www.amazon.com/The-Cichlid-Aquarium-Paul-Loiselle/dp/1564651460 then in a few months come back here and get advice about stocking if you want to keep cichlids properly.

Q: What if I don't want to rehome them?
A: If you don't rehome them immediately all of your fish will be dead within a few months, tops. It won't be a peaceful end for them either.

This is a fairly advanced case of HITH but definitely not the worst I've seen. HITH is mainly caused by poor water conditions (high nitrates). There are other factors such as diet and stress. Once started, HITH can be halted and in some cases the tissue will grow back if a plan of treatment is followed. That includes large water changes often. With your tank size and stocking, I'd think somewhere around 75% every 2-3 days would be needed to provide enough clean water for the oscars to heal. They should also benefit from a vitamin supplement like Boyd's vitachem. It is in liquid form and can be added to their food. Third, I would try soaking the pellets in an Epsom salt solution for 7 days. Mix 1/2 cup distilled water with 3/4 teaspoon epsom salt and soak the pellets for 10-15 minutes. Feed these and nothing else to your oscars for 7 days. (Do this treatment with water changes first.)

Here's an article on HITH. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have.

www.oscarfishlover.com/hole-in-the-head-disease

EDIT: I misread the tank size as 190 gallons. At 190 liters, you'd never change enough water. You have too many fish in too small of a tank. The poor water quality and stress will be too much for them to overcome. I'm not sure where you were told that your setup would be fine but you've been terribly misinformed.

• Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: White spot??

@UNC: The tank is so small, and the stocking is so over-the-top that none of the usual HITH treatments would make a difference to those fish. it's why I didn't bother mentioning any. He could do 90% w/cs twice a day but is so overstocked the nitrates would still be out of control and completely unmanageable. 75% 2 or 3 times a week would literally be pointless in this case.

The trigon 190 is 190 litres, not gallons. He'd be overstocked even with 190 gallons, for what it's worth.

Edit: I'd like to see a photo of the whole tank, please.

• wilde
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

Well, firstly I feel terrible and extremely annoyed at how mis-informed I have been!! Thank you for your advice I shall be re-homing the healthy fish in my tank and doing my upmost to to nurse 3 young oscars back to health

Lastly, maybe a stupid question are the healthy (no physical signs if hith or anything else) safe to be re-homed??

Thank you so much

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds