Ich on pleco

• Debow
  • Debow's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3

Debow created the topic: Ich on pleco

Hey all,

So I got a baby pleco for my 55 gal tank (which is halfway through the cycling process : I am reading nitrites now but no nitrates yet). We have about 15 feeder fish in it to get the cycle going.

So I noticed last night that the pleco looks like it could have ich. But when I took it out of tank and in a bag it no longer looked that way.

Now my hubby thinks he could have ich... So does this look like ich? The pics are from last night.

The other thing is we want to put our oscars in this tank ASAP but we don't want them to get ich from the pleco.

I have read the heat/salt treatment but am not sure if that's good for the pleco it being a scaleless fish. Help!!??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Debow
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Debow replied the topic: Re:Ich on pleco

In the tank last night

Kytha Debow: jamberry and fish lover

• Debow
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Out of tank and in a bag last night

• Debow
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Ps: I plan to bring to the store I got him from tonight to ask

• Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: Ich on pleco

I can't tell from the other pictures but the first picture definitely looks like ick. It's still a little difficult to be absolutely certain from the picture but ick looks like very white tiny grains of sand. If the petstore tries to sell you something don't buy it. My oscar had ick when he was a juvie while the tank was still cycling also and the petstores sold me 'ick cure' and then 'coppersafe' (copper sulfate). The ick cure killed some of the ick but it came back worse than before. The copper sulfate might have killed him in his weakened condition so I'm glad I found out about salt and high temperature working like a charm.

I don't know much about plecs but assuming they can be treated with salt, here's how.

Mix 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons, mix it in a cup and add it to the water. Gradually increase the temperature to 84-86ºf over the course of a day. Often you will need more salt so add another tablespoon per 5 gallons and finally another tablespoon per 5 gallons making 3 tablespoons per 5 gallons total. When performing water changes, vacuum the gravel well and replace the amount of salt taken out. E.g., if you change 50% of the water and you had 3 tablespoons per 5 gallons in the tank then replace the 1 1/2 tablespoons removed during the water change. Continue treatment for 10 days after the last of the ick has fallen of your fish. Afterwards, gradually reduce the temperature back down and the salt level with water changes.

• Debow
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

So if I treat this way should I wait until this is fully complete before adding my oscars??

Right now they are in a 16 gal and I really was hoping to move them in the 55 gal Tuesday or Wednesday (depending on if I found I nitrates in water yet).

The pet store didn't try to sell me the pleco I asked about buying one. The store person and I didn't notice anything at the store and the tank was not under observation (they close down a whole column if 1 tank has a sick fish and advise people not to buy a sick fish or a fish from this tank). This store is closest to me. The only store that is a fish only place is kinda far from me and I haven't had a problem with this pet store I go to before so I'm kinda disappointed.

• Debow
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

R

I just took this

• Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: Ich on pleco

About moving the oscars ... that's a tough one. I'd like to see them moved out of the 16 gallon as soon as possible, but going into an ick infested tank is worse. I hate to say so, but you should wait to put the oscars in. Change the water as much as possible in the 16 gallon.

*Plecos ARE sensitive to salt ... I wasn't aware of that when I gave you directions before.*

Rely more on heat (86ºf) and put in less salt. You should first try 1 tablespoon per 10 gallons. I used api aquarium salt and had good results. If this doesn't do the job, let us know. With this approach, it's very important that you gravel vac to remove the ick from the bottom when in one of their life-cycles where the salt cannot harm them. Below is a picture of my oscar at 2" with a bad case of ick. It should help you determine for sure if your pleco has it.

• Thank you received: 32

Bri B replied the topic: Re:Ich on pleco

Just guessing here but if you have over a dozen feeder goldfish in there diseases could be all over the place. From my understanding they are some of the most disease plagued fish from the conditions they are kept in until you got them. I just successfully cycled a 55 gal using Danios. They are available at all pet stores and are tough as old leather. All 7 I used survived the ammonia and nitrite spikes and didn't show any distress and are kept in far better conditions than feeders. I'm with unc that putting them in an unhealthy tank is worse than being in a small one. And he couldn't be more right on water changes. Big and often. I was forced to have my 2 Oscars in a 10 gallon and the only reason they survived and stayed active was constant water changes over the last couple weeks. All the regulars on this forum are super helpful and will always give you the best course of action for your scenario. I promise my guys would have died a terrible way if I hadn't signed on this site and started asking questions. Best of luck with the new tank.

• Debow
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Thanks guys! Yea I do about 75% water changes every other day on 16 gal and 50% -75% WC every 3 days on the 55 gal. I gravel vac both tanks everyday at least once (I have a cool thing that vacuums the tank gravel without taking out water ).

Ok I'll wait to move oscars (though I hate to see them stay in the 16 gal).

What would I do if I returned the pleco? Should I treat the tank water for a few days?

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds