Someone needs to invent helmets for these fish!

• Nyx
  • Nyx's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16

Nyx created the topic: Someone needs to invent helmets for these fish!

Ok I'm back, (little) Thor has yet another head injury, this on looks more serious than the last little bump he had.

He seems to have hit his head on something and now he has a bit of a chunk of flesh hanging off the side of his head. Doesn't look too deep or anything but it sure looks like it'd sting. He is acting completely normal (well normal for him lol) but I was wondering if there was any extra care I needed to provide while this heals up. Or if there was anything I needed to watch for.
Im assuming doing an extra water change or two would help of course?

He's such a brat sometimes lol. But I noticed yesterday he hit the lid a few times....may have been my bad on that one, I left the jar of fd shrimp on his lid and boy does he know what jar his favorite food comes out of. After I heard the thump I rushed to check on him and found him looking at the food jar ready to hit it again before I moved it.

This time it looks like he as really lucky because the injury was pretty close to his eye. :(

Any advice would be helpful. If you invent a helmet for oscars that would be even better and I'll buy one! Lol.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 97

ernie replied the topic: Someone needs to invent helmets for these fish!

My 2 Oscars have done this too many times to count particularly when they were juvenile. Now they are about 17 months old not so much, just keep up regular water changes maybe even increase for a while possibly 3x75% weekly should heal fairly quickly. Maybe also check for any sharp edges on rocks or driftwood.

• Nyx
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

Nyx replied the topic: Someone needs to invent helmets for these fish!

Well it seems like ever since I've changed out the gravel from pea gravel to this really small like micro gravel he is a lot more adventurous, as in he loves clearing spots in it and moving around plants, and apparently injuring himself. He is about 17mths old now as well and seems to be more rotten now than when he was younger.
He only really has one large piece of decor in his tank. It's hard but I don't think I ever found sharp pieces on it but I think if it hit it hard enough and just right he could do it. I'll post a pic of it in a few.

• Nyx
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

Nyx replied the topic: Re:Someone needs to invent helmets for these fish!

I took this just a few days ago after a wc. I forgot the food there and he ended up hitting his head later but this injury didn't happen until today. I'm just so glad he didn't get his eye because it looks like it was really close.

• Thank you received: 97

ernie replied the topic: Someone needs to invent helmets for these fish!

I think if anyone invented helmets for Oscars they would be a huge seller!!!! lol
The following user(s) said Thank You: streetsmart73

• Thank you received: 15

LeafsFan replied the topic: Someone needs to invent helmets for these fish!

I would buy a helmet for my Oscar, he always gets bumps and scratches. He got one the other day because I bent down and looked in his tank and he shot across the tank so fast trying to attack me he ran into the filter intake. They have to be the most clumsy creatures in the planet. Trying to act all tough and strong and runs right into the intake lol
The following user(s) said Thank You: UNC-CH

• Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: Someone needs to invent helmets for these fish!

Henry got a scrape on his stomach the other day. He did it by... I don't know, actually - I just heard the splash. He was so out of sorts I gave him a dummy (pellet) and then he was back to his usual happy flappings.

I really wonder how these fish survive in the wild. When Henry gets startled he slowly flails away backwards. What kind of defense mechanism is that? "Please don't eat me, I'm horribly cute and so sad I'm flailing away".

• Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: Someone needs to invent helmets for these fish!

Mine did the same thing except it was right on top of his head. He had the flesh hanging off and flopping around while he swam around acting like nothing was wrong. It drove me crazy. It healed completely after about a month. I'm pretty sure mine lifted the lid a little and ran into the part of the rim the lid sits on. Yours could have hit that or something else. He'll be healed before you know it.

• Thank you received: 127

streetsmart73 replied the topic: Someone needs to invent helmets for these fish!

hi there

1. bro, just maintain good water parameters.
2. honest, that scratch thing will heal fast.
3. our Oscars are very very tough fish.
4. however, I would remove the centrepiece in the tank.
5. it may cause more bruises in the future.
6. the other thing, from time to time my arowanas do lose one or two of its scales.
7. yes, from jumping or spooked.

"somewhere in time ... gone with the wind"

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Someone needs to invent helmets for these fish!

I have that same center piece in one of my oscar tanks. It is perfectly harmless. No edges that would gash a hole like that. I would suspect the outflow of your HOB, which tend to have sharp corners and are known to sometimes cause injuries. If Thor has been banging the top of your aquarium there is a good chance he may have hit that as well. Quite possible he has learned his lesson and won't do that again. Monitor and see.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.107 seconds