Fish breathing heavy?

• Mbroglin
  • Mbroglin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Mbroglin created the topic: Fish breathing heavy?

Hi my name is Mike I am new to this site and just got a new Oscar about 11in big that I adopted. He is the 3rd Oscar I've had now and I love the fish. Had him about 4 days now and was reading the forum about heavy breathing. He keeps opening and closing his mouth and is sitting with his mouth towards the top of the water. Any ways I can help him out? I've never come across this problem before thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 97

ernie replied the topic: Re:Fish breathing heavy?

Hi Mike. welcome to OFL can you tell us a little about your set-up tank size filtration type and water parameters. Oscars are very moody and can take a little while to settle in,may just be normal behavior.

• Thank you received: 32

Bri B replied the topic: Re:Fish breathing heavy?

I call it oscar burping which my 2 do constantly. If he/she is always up at the surface struggling for air it's a problem tho. What size is the tank? An 11 inch oscar is cramped in a 55 gal and just barely cozy in a 75

• Mbroglin
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Mbroglin replied the topic: Fish breathing heavy?

I went down to the local fish store and talked to them I had a problem with oxygen so I bought an oxygen pump and he is back to normal now! And he is in a 55 gallon I have been looking to upgrade though. The filter is a canister filer everything else seems to be fine I'm still learning about Oscars as I go I have a little bit of knowledge but not all lol but thanks for the suggestions! And what would be a good site to snag a 75gal tank for a decent price?

Good to hear. A 55 with a cannister is much better treatment than many O's get. Glad he's doing better. Craigslist is always gonna be a good bet for finding tanks over 55. Obviously u want to see it hold water first. Most companies charge big dollars for brand new large tanks at least in my findings.

• Mbroglin
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Yeah the canister filters 300gph I just want the best for my Oscar. There is also a 6in place in the tank as well but I'll keep searching Craigslist for a bigger tank. I would like a 75 or 100 gallon

• Mbroglin
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Pleco * oops auto correct lol

The pleco actually makes a ton of waste. Should put him in another tank until you can get a jumbo set up. What model cannister do you have? I got a Fluval 306 and am thrilled with it so far.

• Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: Fish breathing heavy?

Hey Mike - welcome to the forum. It sounds like you got the heavy breathing problem under control but I wanted to mention that when my oscar was a juvenile he would do that. I always thought it was due to overfeeding but it could be a lack of oxygen or both.

Yeah, with a pleco you would need a bigger tank. As you know, plecos produce a lot of waste.

We'd love to see some pictures. Do you know how to use photobucket and paste the link here? If you have any trouble just ask.

The tapatalk app makes video and pic posting super easy from iPhone or Android phones, would Def love some pics
The following user(s) said Thank You: UNC-CH

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.115 seconds