Fish acting strange.... ideas?

• DMD123
  • DMD123's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 187

DMD123 created the topic: Fish acting strange.... ideas?

So in my 210g community I am having a weird issue with the heterospilus acting strangely. He has stopped eating and has been hiding in the back corner of the tank staring at the back wall or during my last water change had his head up toward the surface. His normal color has faded out and he is super pale.

He is the smallest cichlid in the tank at about 5" but has zero issue with regard to bullying. He was doing fine up to about a week ago. All other fish are acting fine and eating normally. He does not look thin or bloated. There are no torn fins. The only strange thing is a scrape on his head like he hurt himself on the driftwood.

As you guys probably already know these fish get awesome care with multiple, regular water changes per week and fed a good pellet diet and like I said it is only this one fish.

Any ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DMD123
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

DMD123 replied the topic: Fish acting strange.... ideas?

I wanted to add the fish has this look of 'leave me alone, I want to go die somewhere' thing going on. :blink:
Wondering if the head injury caused some sort of trauma. Its not very deep or anything we have not seen pics of an Oscar doing at some point.

• DMD123
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Forgot to add: Have not seen it poo so not sure of parasite issue. It was treated with Seachem Parasite Gard when it came in and has not been exposed to any other new fish.

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:Fish acting strange.... ideas?

Try feeding a treat food like blood worms or shrimp. Could be just spooked from the injury. My hrp went through a spell of not eating for a week or two I actually asked jmunroe how his was acting then out of no where his appetite returned.

Also maybe hes backed up ? Some peas maybe
The following user(s) said Thank You: DMD123

• DMD123
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

I have some frozen bloodworms I can try. The only visible issue was the head injury...

• Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: Fish acting strange.... ideas?

When Henry's injured himself he's reacted similarly - turned pale, hid, looked traumatised. When did the head injury occur and has the fish eaten at all since he got it?

• DMD123
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

I noticed the head injury yesterday and has not eaten since then. Normally aggressive little feeder. I do have the two bichir and a pleco who are active at night and maybe he got brushed up against and freaked out.

• Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: Fish acting strange.... ideas?

That's a distinct possibility. I think that if the head injury is recent and he hasn't eaten since then that he's probably spooked himself, especially if there's a good chance the injury happened late at night.

I'd leave the lights dimmer than usual in the tank for a couple of days, and might be worth considering leaving a small ambient light on at night - not in the tank, but another room of the house if he is freaking out at night. I leave the laundry light on at night with one of those low wattage LED bulbs so there's a tiny bit of ambience for Henry and Co. Before I started doing that Henry would freak out regularly because of the SDs swimming around and got some pretty good knocks to his head.

But yeah, if it's because of the head injury there isn't much you need to do except give him a few days to get over being spooked. Hunger will win out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DMD123

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Fish acting strange.... ideas?

Take a video, let's see exactly what's going on. ;)

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• DMD123
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Darth Nandopsis wrote: Take a video, let's see exactly what's going on. ;)

Its always about the video and pictures with you guys! :laugh:

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.157 seconds