Sick Oscar, Fungus?

• Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: Sick Oscar, Fungus?

That's good to hear. It's amazes me that the other four meds didn't work ... glad you tried triple sulfa. Keep us posted.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DMD123

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DMD123
  • DMD123's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 187

DMD123 replied the topic: Sick Oscar, Fungus?

I was surprised myself. Kanaplex has worked well for me in the past and I thought it would knock it out especially with the combos. My understanding is that this triple sulfa does not kill what is going on but merely suppresses it. This morning there was a bit of a flare up of what was on the top but overall the progress looks to be good.

If this 10 day thing does not work I have another 4 days I can add and after that a different med. My next round would be with Doxycycline Powder, also said to work well with bacterial infections and a bit more kick the the sulfas. Hopefully will not have to break that out.

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:Sick Oscar, Fungus?

David what actually IS the stuff ? Fungus ?

• DMD123
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Dont think it is fungus since it did not respond to any fungal meds. I think it might be a type of bacterial infection. Saw no change it appetite or flashing by the Oscar so it must not have bothered him that much. Very strange to me since my water changes are so heavy in this tank. I do 10-15 gallons daily just to remove the waste off the top of the sand and two large 50% changes along with that.

Who knows, maybe being next to the puffers tank is stressing her out. The puffer will puff up and maybe Chunk just cant handle that. :blink:
It is absolutely hilarious (and mean) that Chunk will sometimes go after Scruffy's worm in the next tank over.

I was doing some research making a list of the active ingredients in all the meds you've tried. Nitrofurazone is really the only med you've tried that works on some gram negative bacteria ... and it's not considered an antibiotic. Kanamycine is an antibiotic, but is only effective on gram positive bacteria. So you haven't tried an antibiotic that works on gram negative (and gram positive) like doxycycline. Like you were planning, I'd try that next if it doesn't clear up completely.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DMD123

• DMD123
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Getting a little discouraged that the stuff flared up a little again today. I think I am just going to end the triple sulfa treatment after the 10 days and then move her into the new tank and start the doxycycline treatments.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Sick Oscar, Fungus?

UNC-CH wrote: I was doing some research making a list of the active ingredients in all the meds you've tried. Nitrofurazone is really the only med you've tried that works on some gram negative bacteria ... and it's not considered an antibiotic. Kanamycine is an antibiotic, but is only effective on gram positive bacteria. So you haven't tried an antibiotic that works on gram negative (and gram positive) like doxycycline. Like you were planning, I'd try that next if it doesn't clear up completely.

Kanamycin works on gram negative aerobic bacteria.

You can combine gram positive and gram negative treatments, like erythromycin with kanamycin. Or you can purchase Maracyn-1 and use in conjunction with Maracyn-2.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DMD123, UNC-CH

Is doxycycline a stronger antibiotic than Marcyn-1 and Maracyn-2 or at least as good a choice?

• DMD123
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Im going by what some experienced friends in my local cichlid group have dealt with. Since I have used kanplex twice during treatment and had no success, I will not mix it into anything else. I have mixed the triple sulfa with seachem parasite gard but nothing else. The doxy I cant really find any info on so if you guys have any I would appreciate it.

• Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: Sick Oscar, Fungus?

Afaik it works in a similar way to Maracyn-2. www.americanaquariumproducts.com/aquariummedication2.html might be worth having a read. Gives pretty good overviews of a lot of medications.

Edit: It doesn't mention Doxycyline specifically, but does mention a close 'relative' - tetracycline. Maracyn-2 (minocycline) seems to work in a similar way but has slightly less severe potential side effects, and marginally more effective against gram negative bacteria.
The following user(s) said Thank You: UNC-CH

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.136 seconds