Sick Oscar, Fungus?

• Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: Sick Oscar, Fungus?

I was wrong about the kanamycine ... it does treat gram negative. Do you have the doxycycline? If so, I think it's worth a try, unless you'd rather try minocycline (Maracyn 2).

Didn't you say you got some benefit from seachem paraguard? Because I tried to find the active ingredients but couldn't. There was a suggestion that there was some 'aldehyde' that wasn't formaldehyde and that it may have contained methylene blue. Did your water turn blue when you used it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Sick Oscar, Fungus?

paraguard has a variation of malachite green.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DMD123, UNC-CH

• DMD123
  • DMD123's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 187

DMD123 replied the topic: Sick Oscar, Fungus?

Yes, I have the Doxy already. I figured on being prepared to go the next step if the Triple Sulfa did not knock it out.

The Seachem Paragard is a cocktail they developed that I found to be pretty mild and I use it to treat new fish. The malachite green was what I thought was being 'helpful' so I had used that when I ran out of the paragard. It did nothing when used with the other med combo's.

I am at a bit of crossroads this morning. While this stuff has cleared up considerably there seems to be some very stubborn stuff at this point that just seems like it is not responding anymore or is just needing more time. Almost looks like it just flared back up a bit. I really dont want to start up anything new until the weekend when Chunk gets his new 75g but I am starting to get a bit frustrated. Not sure if a salt dip would help since salt treatments during the time frame showed no signs of helping.

A bit stressful too because I am on a bit of a time limit. On the 28th of the month, I leave on vacation for a week and a half and will not be able to medicate or do anything with the tank. While I do have someone who comes over and drops a small amount of food in each day, that is all the attention the fish get. I do my large water changes right before I leave and reduce feedings in preparation. These long vacations always worry me.

• Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: Sick Oscar, Fungus?

I can understand how it would be frustrating after trying several different meds, and then after finding one that seems to work, the infection doesn't clear up completely. And needing this to be cleared up and treatment finished within two weeks is aggrevating, I'm sure.

Since time is an issue, I'd go ahead and add the doxy with the triple sulfa. It might be enough to clear it up. And, in the case that it doesn't diminish the infection more than the triple sulfa alone, I think we can rule out bacteria as the cause, considering kanaplex didn't seem to help. This would give you more time before leaving to look into another medication.

• DMD123
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

My concern with the triple sulfa mixed with another item is this: "*Best not used concurrently with other antibiotics/antimicrobials, although use with chemical dyes such as malachite green is safe and even advised."

Quote from: www.americanaquariumproducts.com/aquariummedication2.html

My friend had suggested the Triple Sulfa and Kanaplex combo but I decided against that since the fish has already had two complete rounds of kanaplex and it was ineffective. Not enough info if I can mix the doxy with anything.

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:Sick Oscar, Fungus?

Been following D, this sucks man if not fungus and not bacteria wtf is it...sorry your going through this
The following user(s) said Thank You: DMD123

• DMD123
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Thanks for the kind word frank. I never expected issues with this fish at all. Very healthy and through this whole ordeal eating like a champ.

• DMD123
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Was talking with my friend about the treatment process and doing some more reading. I guess I could have mixed the Kanplax/Triple Sulfa and it would have been fine. I did not want to have any issues so I did not do it. Since the treatment evidently is not effective anymore with it flaring up again, it was suggested to go ahead and do the doxy/kanaplex combo. I guess the combo of these two work well together. So new meds starting tonight after work.

• DMD123
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Started the Doxy/Kanaplex treatment this evening. Will see if it can kick this stupid stuff.

• Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: Sick Oscar, Fungus?

My SDs didn't have the same thing as this, but after quarantining for 2 months and losing one of the two sick silver dollars, what finally kicked it was using a food antibiotic that was a combo of metronidazole, chloramphenicol and praziquantel, coupled with 5% salt dips for 15 - 30 seconds daily. I suspect the 5% salt dips were more effective than the antibiotic but chloramphenicol is powerful stuff.

My SD had an aeromonas infection, for what it's worth.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DMD123

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.082 seconds