Fin rot?

• Thank you received: 187

DMD123 replied the topic: Fin rot?

Not to derail, but that spider creeps me out! :blink:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Sockfuzz
  • Sockfuzz's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

Sockfuzz replied the topic: Re:Fin rot?

To be honest I panicked and bought ick meds and as for the feeder fish I didn't know. My mistake that won't happen again. Thank you for the help

• Thank you received: 32

Bri B replied the topic: Re:Fin rot?

These guys will walk you through every step of getting your O into a great situation. Just ask and you will get answers from true fish lovers with years and decades of experience.

• Sockfuzz
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

I appreciate it
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bri B

• Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: Fin rot?

When my oscar was still very young he got ick very bad and I treated him with probably the same or similar stuff ... it turned the water blue ... 'Ick Cure' by API. I followed the instructions to the letter and about 75% of it went away, but after the treatment was over it came back worse than ever.

This picture was taken after treatment with Ick Cure. Note the blue color of the silicone. (That blue stain never went away btw.)

I read about the salt and high temperature treatment and tried it.

How to cure ick with salt and temperature:

Slowly raise the temperature to as high as 86ºF.
Day 1: Add 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of salt for every 5 US gallons of tank water. E.g., For a 100 gallon tank, add 20 tablespoons. Dissolve the salt in a cup with some tank water before adding it to the tank. Add a little at a time over the course of several hours.
Day 2: Add another tablespoon of salt for every 5 gallons.
Day 3: Add another tablespoon of salt for every 5 gallons.
Day 4: Stop adding salt!
Day 5 and beyond: When all of the ick has fallen off your oscar, keep salt and temperature at current levels until 10 days have passed. After 10 days, slowly return the temperature back to where it was (recommend 78 - 82ºF) and gradually reduce the salt level by performing partial water changes.

Note: Until 10 days of being symptom free, perform your regular partial water changes. Vacuuming the gravel is very important so that the parasites are removed from the substrate. When performing partial water changes, replace the amount of salt taken out of the tank. E.g., If you have 60 tablespoons of salt in a 100 gallon tank and perform a 50% water change, add 30 tablespoons to replace the 30 taken out with the water change.

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:Fin rot?

Salt and heat are much better for treating ich...I always did one tbls per 10 gallons because I had scale less fish but 1 tbls per 5 gal is common. Bump the heat to 86 (slowly) do a wc every 2 days and replace the salt taken out (example say you add 9 tbls then do 50% wc you would add 4 1/2 tbs back intontje tank) bump the heat slowly as well as the salt. Fill a container with tank water and the salt and slowly throught out 2 days add the salt. Increase aeration.
Do this for about 2 weeks....make sure all the cysts hatched and died

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:Fin rot?

Oops just saw unc already posted it

• Sockfuzz
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Hey everyone. Here's a better picture of what's going on with his fin. You guys are sure this is ick?

• Sockfuzz
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Also, it's only on that fin on that side. But it was one of the fins that got nipped the worst.

• Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: Fin rot?

That's not ick. Ick is tiny white spots all over the fish ... like grains of white sand. That's too large to be ick. If you could post another picture at a different angle, it might help us determine what it is exactly. In any case, water changes will help.

EDIT: Being on just one side makes me think it's a heater burn. Watch to make sure it doesn't get worse. That would be consistent with a heater burn.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.082 seconds