Help wanted

• mikestike
  • mikestike's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

mikestike created the topic: Help wanted

Hi. Im getting worried about my oscar. she seems to be fine. But she has had this weird 'dent ' on the top of her head. Its been like that for a year now i think. but ive not seen other Oscars like this. Does anybody know what it is? Thank you. 4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: Help wanted

That's HITH/LLE or Hole in the head disease. It's caused by your oscar living in water that hasn't been changed frequently enough. How often have you been changing the water and how much?

• mikestike
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

mikestike replied the topic: Re:Help wanted

I only change the water once every two weeks. But i have a lot of filtration going. And i change 30 to 50 %

• Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: Help wanted

What size tank is she in?

Normally, HITH can be prevented from advancing further by keeping nitrate levels below 20ppm, preferably 10ppm. In my 75 gallon tank with my 11" oscar, it takes a 50% water change every 3-4 days with light feeding to accomplish that. Once HITH has reached a certain point, scarring will be inevitable. In this case, the erosion around the nostrils is reversable and will heal if nitrate is kept low. But the large pit in the center of the head, while it may improve a little, will leave bad scarring. At the very least you should be able to prevent it from getting worse. If it goes on like this, HITH is fatal. Is there any pitting along the lateral lines?

• Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: Help wanted

Hi mike. To help more we'll need to know the following:
Tank size
Filtration (be specific - what filters do you use?)
A list of tankmates
Results of water tests for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate. You will need a liquid test kit to get accurate results (most of us use the API freshwater kit). A temporary alternative would be to get a LFS to test the water too, but make sure you can take photographs of the results and post them here.

That said, your oscar has HITH and no matter what your tank size, 30 - 50% water changed a fortnight is less than half what you would need to do to prevent it. Water changes lower the amount of waste (nitrate and small organic waste particles in particular - these are things that are not removed by your filtration) and replenish important minerals. HITH is usually caused by long-term bad water quality.

To treat it, until you can get the above information I suggest doing daily water changes - 20% today, 30% tomorrow, 40% the day after, 50% the day after that, then 50% daily until you get the API test kit. Once you have the kit we can run you through what you need to test for. What do you know about cycling a tank/filter?

Make sure to use a good dechlorinator (eg: Seachem safe/prime) every time you do a water change.

• mikestike
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Ok. I'll get that kit. Its been like that for a year now as i said. I feel really bad now. My tank is 150 liter. I have a canister filter with a rating of 300 liter per hour. Also, i have one of those built in filters blue planet aquariums come out with. Its tank mater are 1 small clown loace. 2 small african cichlids and a pleco recently. I know its too small. Im moving her too a 400 liter tank in a week or 2. This tank will have 2 large canistrfilters plus the current one.

• mikestike
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

I just had a look at my filter and it seems i was mislead. Its only 100 l.

• Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: Re:Help wanted

Ok, thanks for the info.

150L (40G) is too small for one oscar kept alone, let alone one with tankmates. Oscars need a 55 gal, 4ft rectangular aquarium as a bare minimum tank size to avoid health problems, but by the time they reach 8 - 9" (around a year old) they need to be in a 75 gallon (4ft x 18") tank. How big is your oscar now? A healthy oscar will reach 7 - 10" in their first year of life, and after 2 years most are around the 12" range, if not larger. If your oscar is significantly smaller than this it is stunted, and stunting is caused by the same things as HITH.

Your african cichlids are not compatible with oscars at all so you need to rehome them, both for their sake and the oscar's. I also think you should rehome the pleco as they are very messy, and as stated your tank is way too small for even one oscar. Even if you get a 400L tank, the African's need to go.

With your current stocking levels you would have needed to be doing daily water changes to keep the levels of waste and nitrate at acceptable levels to prevent HITH.

I don't know what those built in filters are like, but going by the canister alone you only have around 1/4 of the filtration on your tank an oscar needs (assume its flow rate is 300 lph). If it is only 100lph then you only have ~1/10th of the filtration an oscar needs.

• mikestike
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Oscar is about 10 inch. At the time i purchased the African cichlids i was young and dumb. I know the immunity of the 2 fish are different and ph needs. But yeah. I dont know why i didn't get rid of them. So after i let them go. What should my next steps be. And how should i set up the filters. I've heard some negative reports about activated carbon

• mikestike
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Oh. I should note that that the oscar had that bump before i introduced the African cichlids

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.130 seconds