Help wanted

• Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: Help wanted

An easy thing to do would be to remove the carbon. It doesn't help you with anything. It keeps the water clear, but that shouldn't be a problem anyway. There are some studies that indicate it may effect the health of fish by removing elements in the water. Other studies indicate that there is little or no negative health effects. Either way, you don't need it.

Just be sure not to upset the bacteria colonies on filter pads if you remove the carbon. Cut any filter pads/pouches containing carbon, dump it out, and remove all the bits with your fingers before replacing the filter pouches in your filter. Any loose carbon can rattle around and potentially damage your filter. Do not wash them under tap water. Use aquarium water if needed. Wash your hands well after handling the filter pads.

(This post does not address the other issues related to HITH due to time constraints.)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: Re:Help wanted

What filters are you planning on getting with the new tank? If you are undecided I'd strongly suggest a canister/HOB combo such as an Eheim 2217 (or Fluval 405/406) + an Aquaclear 110. Even one of those filters alone would be a vast improvement over your current oscar's situation, but you 100% need enough biological filtration that you have no ammonia or nitrite (you need the test kit). A good ballpark to aim I've often read been thrown around is to have around 8 - 10x the water movement per hour than the volume of the tank (eg: if you have a 300L tank 2400lph of total filtration is good, 3000lph is awesome). The biological filtration is by far the most important, and this filtration is still no substitute for regular, large water changes as it won't remove nitrate.

Don't use carbon in the filters - it has been implicated as (another) possible cause of HITH (@UNC: there was a study done on it I'll get you the link tomorrow). I like stuffing my filters full of bio media plus a couple of sponges or floss for mechanical filtration. That's all I use, personally.

As for next steps, your first priority is to start the daily water change schedule and rehome the Africans. While waiting for your new tank, there's also a really good article about taking care of oscars and cycling an aquarium that you really need to read, but I've lost the link :pinch: when I find it I'll post it, or someone else will.

Understanding how cycling an aquarium works is absolutely essential for you to help heal some of the damage done to your oscar.

• mikestike
  • mikestike's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

mikestike replied the topic: Re:Help wanted

Thank you very mush. You guys have been very helpful. I really like the biohome media but its vary expensive here in aus. What would be a good alternative

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:Help wanted

Pot scrubbies - lava rock

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:Help wanted

Add a sponge filter great for bio.
Inread somewhere that a nice size sponge filter has the same amount of surface area that an average hob has

+1 on the sponge filter.

I'm using the biohome now. I almost purchased eheim substrate pro instead. Like the biohome, it's also sintered glass and very porous. The eheim substrate pro is less expensive than the biohome here in the US by about 20%.

• mikestike
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Has anybody used seachem matrix

• mikestike
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

I did a water test today after 45 % water change. No2 and No3 were 0. I'll test again tomorrow

• Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: Re:Help wanted

You have to shake the 2nd nitrate bottle (assuming API kit) very thoroughly for a couple of minutes before you use it. It has particles that settle at the bottom of the bottle that need to be forced into the solution.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.082 seconds