Rehoming a koi

• Jamal
  • Jamal's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

Jamal created the topic: Rehoming a koi

Hey guys just a quick question. so today is the day that im moving my koi out of the 55 g and i was wondering if he could go in to my old 20 gallon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 415

OFL replied the topic: Rehoming a koi

Absolutely not, 20 gallon aquarium is far too small. How big is this fish? They really are cold water so do not require any heating. How are you housing this fish?

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: daddadoo7

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:Rehoming a koi

OFL wrote: Absolutely not, 20 gallon aquarium is far too small. How big is this fish? They really are cold water so do not require any heating. How are you housing this fish?

Koi get big and given the proper care can oulive humans

• Thank you received: 11

toom replied the topic: Rehoming a koi

This question could be answered by yourself with common sense, can you house an fish that grows into the 3 feet Region into an 55G tank, let alone 20G? Kois belong in displays starting in the 2500 Gallon Region and its not an home aquarium fish.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 415

OFL replied the topic: Rehoming a koi

Carp really belong outside in ponds, they're not really suitable Fish for a home aquarium, although people do keep them like that. What you'll find happen if you keep Carp in a heated aquarium is they will basically eat all year round which means they will grow pretty quickly. Even if you don't have a heater, the water will still remain warm enough in the home to keep them eating all year round. When they are outside in the pond, they will almost stop eating during the colder months of the year. Also, if you think Oscars are messy, then carp are a different ballgame altogether, they eat loads of food and produce massive amounts of waste

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Jamal
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Jamal replied the topic: Rehoming a koi

thanks i didnt think so. I told my mom i was going to go put it in our neighbors pond then she just flipped and said no i can put it in the 20 gal so thats y i asked. he's 4 inches now and he's with rex in the 55 gal but im doing what yall told me to do and getting him out the tank when i get home.

• Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: Rehoming a koi

I agree ... he should go outside into a pond, but what is the outside temperature where you live? I moved a carp (comet) into a pond we had made last fall, but the water temperature was within a few degrees of the tank temp that the comet and other goldfish were used to. I wonder if it might be best to acclimate the coy best as you can to the outside (water) temperature before releasing it.

Is this necessary if the difference in temperatures is large enough?

You could acclimate the coy by putting him in the 20 gallon near a temp he's used to and slowly add water from outside. I'm not sure what rate of change is appropriate. Then you could release him into the pond.

• Jamal
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Jamal replied the topic: Rehoming a koi

hey unc can't I just float him like before you put a new fish into an aquarium? I Stiil have the bag from Walmart that rex came in. if I wash it and then float him in the pond for 15-30 mins then put him in the pond will that work

• Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: Rehoming a koi

Sure. I don't see why not.

• Thank you received: 0

thomosgee1 replied the topic: Rehoming a koi

if possible, that will also help. I'm afraid this does rather sound like a problem caused by poor water quality. It could be a case that the fish has got some kind of fin rot that may need treating, but until we can see a photo it's difficult to say. In any case, medication is only successful if you first have good water conditions. So please get those answers to us ASAP and we can start trying to help. As for the heavy breathing, I'm afraid there could be numerous reasons why the fish is breathing heavily. It could be as simple as lack of oxygen, but it could be much more serious as well.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.123 seconds