Oscar has stopped eating.

• china06132013
  • china06132013's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

china06132013 created the topic: Oscar has stopped eating.

I changed the blood worms brand that I was feeding my Oscar and he didn't like them and now he wont eat anything I give him. I even went back to his old brand and he still won't eat. He doesn't even act like he is interested. He will still swim up and do his normal "greeting" when I enter the room but if I put food in the aquarium he just swims away?????? Any feedback?????

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Oscar has stopped eating.

Hello and welcome to OFL. Please provide as much detail of you fish, tank, and regular maintenance as possible. Could be a serious problem, but we cant just guess.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• china06132013
  • china06132013's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

china06132013 replied the topic: Oscar has stopped eating.

He is in a 55 gallon aquarium, I have had him for almost 2 years and I have always done weekly 15-25% weekly water changes, I run a Fluval G3 filter and a UV sterilizer. His only other tank mate is my 12" pleco which they have grown up together. I checked levels this morning and everything is normal. And I wouldn't think it was something in the new food, because as soon as he put it in his mouth he spit it right back out and after a few minutes of him not eating it I took out what I could. He swims around like normal he does everything he did as before except eat.

• Thank you received: 32

Bri B replied the topic: Re:Oscar has stopped eating.

That isn't enough water changes for a 2 year old O and big pleco. They shouldn't even share a tank that size honestly. For example I have 2 juvenile O's in my 55 and I do 60 to 70 percent water changes every other day and it's keeps my nitrates around 10 ppm. If I wait 2 or 3 days nitrate goes up to over 20. Pleco makes tons of waste. My tank has a fluval 306 cannister and big double chamber hob filter packed with nothing but bio media and sponges also. Do you use a liquid test kit to get your water parameter readings?

• Thank you received: 171

robham7770 replied the topic: Re:Oscar has stopped eating.

hey china, what other foods have you been feeding the fish since you had it? Blood worms are a good treat, but a quality pellet should be the main diet of most aquarium kept fish. A single protein based food is not healthy in the long run for an oscar. 1 week without eating is really no big deal, but underlying causes could be. The more info you can post in regards to water parameters, recent changes, and fish history will be beneficial to help solve the problem.

• Thank you received: 127

streetsmart73 replied the topic: Re:Oscar has stopped eating.

hi there

1. china, shall appreciate it if you can download a clip on your tank and Oscar.
2. that would be very useful too.

"somewhere in time ... gone with the wind"

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.097 seconds