Jag terrified of people - advice?

• Lammergeier
  • Lammergeier's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: Re:Jag terrified of people - advice?

Thanks guys.

@DBLN: His old home really was that bad :( Thanks for the tilapia substitute idea! I only have ambient lighting (room light) for his tank, but should I cover up the tank completely, do you think? I was worried having to move the cover around to feed or for tank maintenance might stress him more than not having it at all.

@Frank: True that. Off to Bunnings again for more pipe houses!

I'll try and be patient. I'm mainly just worried about him.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 218

DBLN8 replied the topic: Jag terrified of people - advice?

I wouldn't cover if completely I think that would make him more secluded. Dim lighting move slowly around the tank he'll figure it out.

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: Jag terrified of people - advice?

I would remove the pvc, make him a natural rock cave structure that he can swim thru. I find all my CA's love to have a cave , but not too enclosed.As long as he is eating, I would let him, whether it takes 20 mins or 2. Don't like the idea of other fish. He is destined to be a single fish, I think, so leave him alone. None of this may help, lol, but its what its worked well for me.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Lammergeier
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Lammergeier replied the topic: Jag terrified of people - advice?

Thanks for the advice Dave. Seems the popular consensus is to just let him eat, even if it takes a while so I'll keep going with that. What rocks did you use for the cave type structure? I've been looking at fake ones at various places but they're all way too small for him to swim through.

On an unrelated note but my krill got stopped by customs :pinch: going to have to try and find somewhere to source it locally. How does frozen krill compare to freeze dried?

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Jag terrified of people - advice?

FD krill nicely absorb liquid vitamins, but not sure there is any difference in gross nutritional value between the two. The process of freezing and/or freezing drying will both likely loose minimal nutritional value over raw, but not a lot. I feed my fish raw frozen shrimp and the fd krill. Sucks about customs. Wonder what that was about?

RE tilapia. I would think that any white fish would suffice as a substitute.Of course there isn't the added satisfaction of feeding your CA cichlid an African rival, but still. :evil:

• Lammergeier
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Lammergeier replied the topic: Jag terrified of people - advice?

Lol Ben. Ugh I have no idea. It's stopped in the US and is under review because it can't be exported to Aus or something stupid. Apparently freeze dried krill is a threat to Australian national security :lol: No wonder we lost a war with emus... Those cheeky custom b*****ds are also keeping my NLS hostage!

I've been able to track down some vacuum sealed stuff. Isn't freeze dried I don't think but.. ugh. Running out of options. Can't buy FD krill anywhere except online, and the Aus seller I got it from last time isn't stocking it.

• Thank you received: 32

Bri B replied the topic: Re:Jag terrified of people - advice?

Best of luck lamm. What are your available options for dither in Australia? There has to be something comparable to silver dollars. These guys have far more experience than I do but I feel like a few dither he can't swallow combined with 2 or 3 days of no food would be the best course of action here. #imsojealousandwantajag ;-)

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:Jag terrified of people - advice?

Bri B wrote: Best of luck lamm. What are your available options for dither in Australia? There has to be something comparable to silver dollars. These guys have far more experience than I do but I feel like a few dither he can't swallow combined with 2 or 3 days of no food would be the best course of action here. #imsojealousandwantajag ;-)

why would not food help this situation ?

• Thank you received: 32

Bri B replied the topic: Re:Jag terrified of people - advice?

If he doesn't eat for a day or 2 his appetite will be way up and can start to associate lamm as the hand that feeds, in combination with the dither fish letting him know it's safe in the tank. If he can just pick at floating pellets that are always available he will never associate lamm as the hand that feeds. I apologize if I'm way off with bad advice here but I'm just thinking what I suggested may be the most likely way to make the jag comfortable and begin to eat/not fear people.

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:Jag terrified of people - advice?

no need to apologize nothing any of us say despite what we think is absolute. regardless of feeding or not the jag will learn to associate lamm for food. patience will win out

I had an Oscar pull this crap for almost a month

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds