Jag terrified of people - advice?

• Thank you received: 32

Bri B replied the topic: Re:Jag terrified of people - advice?

Very true daddadoo. God only knows how freaked out by his previous situation that jag is. We can all agree that he just hit the jackpot being adopted my Mr and Mrs. Lamm. I think this is the textbook definition of what purpose dither fish serve. Of course if they can find some that won't be a snack lol. He will get more cozy with every passing hour and the huge upgrade in swim space and water conditions will only help. He lived in a small toilet for 2 years so it's impossible for him to acclimate to his new spot in a week or 2.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Rogue_Violetta
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 25

Rogue_Violetta replied the topic: Re:Jag terrified of people - advice?

Right now, my good sir, he's like any frightened animal. Dog, bird... Patience, my good Sir. And luck. A lot of luck. Indeed, my good sir, luck will serve you well.

You'll get there dude. Just like you did with Charlie. Maybe you could try letting him see you as non threatening, like lying on the floor and staying still or something, and letting him see you there. He gets used to your presence, but you aren't moving, and can see if it stresses him out or not.

Also, you can make rock caves with pvc pipe, smooth small river rocks/gravel, and silicone. The outside is easy- cover it in silicone, and roll it in the rock. Let it set. Then do the inside, without the rolling. Probably more pouring and shaking, I guess. Let it set. Put in tank. Fishies love it! (I saw a video once)

And for those wondering... the emu war is real. And we lost big time. www.emugigs.com/emuwar/

Keeper of the Food Pellets of Malekith the Never Accursed, Lover of Bubbles and Airstones, and Beloved of the Rogue Violetta.

Throw yourself in- use the wrong words, try different foods, kiss random fish. It's an adventure!

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Re:Jag terrified of people - advice?

Rogue_Violetta wrote: And for those wondering... the emu war is real. And we lost big time. www.emugigs.com/emuwar/

:laugh: :laugh: I was totally wondering about the Emu War! That is a very fun read. "Is a medal to be struck for this war?" :laugh: :laugh:

• Thank you received: 127

streetsmart73 replied the topic: Re:Jag terrified of people - advice?

hi there

1. bro lam.
2. I did have the experience bagging home one juvenile red aro some time back.
3. it was freaking itself out when it was introduced to the new tank.
4. what I did: light on 24/7, no feeding.
5. reduce tank water to half.
6. it got around after 7 days.

"somewhere in time ... gone with the wind"

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Re:Jag terrified of people - advice?

Lamm.. all the rocks in my tanks come from right outside. Rinse the dirt off, boil for a few mins, ready for use. Thor went 8-9 days without eating when I got him. Your problem isn't feeding, its acclimating to his new digs. I still maintain that you just leave him be, let him eat when he wants. keep his water clean. No need to make extra effort to change his behavior, he will relax on his own

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Lammergeier
  • Lammergeier's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: Re:Jag terrified of people - advice?

Dithers - while I can see your points I'm not going to go with any for him. I'd rather take the extra time for him to become comfortable on his own than introduce fish that will either get eaten, or possibly give him a disease due to not being able to quarantine them. There's also the bioload issue of adding more fish to a tank that is only big enough for him (and only just). @Bri: Options for dithers here in Vic are probably in the same ballpark as what you could get - SDs, large tetras, tinfoil barbs, so on. Some easier to get than others of course.

Feeding - Seems the general consensus that the fact he's eating (albeit unenthusiastically) is more than good enough, so for now at least he gets a free pass to eat whatever (aside from feeders). Offered him a bit of FD krill tonight (the others had some as well) and no interest, but he looked at a couple of pellets and ate them 10 - 20 minutes later.

Cave house: @Dave: I see. I did scour the garden today, came up with a bunch of small round stones and some big boulder that was almost the width of the tank :pinch: Then... stupid things happened (to me) when I tried building stuff out of them. Anyway, I've got some fairly porous rocks lying around too that I assumed wouldn't work, but if they won't affect the pH too much I might be able to use them. Can I bug you for a pic of Thor's cave? Apparently making things out of rocks is not my uh, expertise.

More decor: Because I fail at doing anything with rocks he got a bit of driftwood for now. Just something extra to hide behind. He's made a nest in the sand behind his PVC pipe. I'll remove the pipe once I get the rocks set up, but for now it's better than nothing.

@Streetsmart: Thanks for the advice but there's no way I'm going to lower his water level. He's already got HITH so the cleaner water I can provide the better.

Speaking of HITH, noticed tonight he has 2 - 3 small holes below each eye as well so it's officially HITH, not scrapes. Treating that's realistically my no. 1 priority. Clean water, vitachem + I'm thinking about soaking pellets in epsom salt for a few days as well (input on that idea welcome too).

Thanks for the advice everyone - even if you offered advice I'm not going to take I really appreciate the differing viewpoints.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bri B

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.088 seconds