hheeellpppp

• ttertter
  • ttertter's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

ttertter created the topic: hheeellpppp

I have an Oscar 6 inch and a pleco 8 inch in a 20 gallon tank i am getting a 75 in 2 weeks but I did a water change like I do every week and about a day after my oscar started to act unusually weird he is pick up rocks to big for he's mouth and almost choking him self he is running into the walls not hard just a tap and he is swimming and breathing weird. The tank is at a good 84 degrees as it always is and the pH and the nitrite and nitrates pls help me I worried for him

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: hheeellpppp

Did you cycle your tank? Those symptoms are reminiscent of ammonia poisoning and bad water quality. You need to start doing 90% water changes everyday until the 75g comes in. Use Seachem Prime as your water conditioner.

Use a liquid test kit to determine ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: hheeellpppp

Welcome to our community. Okay, this is why we are here, it's always best to research fish before you get them. Without wanting to sound like I am having a go at you, if you had research Oscars beforehand you would know that A 20 gallon tank is far too small.

Okey-dokey, as it stands, you are heavily overstocked by miles, I am quite sure that the water conditions must be poor, doing only one water change per week in such a small tank is going to do little to help your fish. Obviously the 75 gallon tank is going to be good for the Oscar, but it's not big enough for your plec as well. I'm assuming that you want to keep your Oscar? You need to re-home the other fish straightaway, it's absolutely impossible for you to keep it, you will lose both fish if you continue as you are at the moment. In fact, I would probably suggest that you find a home for both of the fish until the new 75 gallon tank is all set up and ready for only fish. Now that is up to you, that is about the best advice I can give you, if you don't want to do this than I can only wish you luck in keeping your fish alive.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: hheeellpppp

Welcome to the forum.

Did you use a water conditioner to remove chlorine and chloramines when changing the water? How much water did/do you change per week? What are your levels for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH?

I have an 11" adult oscar in my 75 gallon alone with no other fish. I have to perform two 50% water changes a week, or one 75% a week to keep nitrates below 20ppm. You'll have to do the same if you want your oscar to be healthy when you get your 75 gallon.

For now, you really need to rehome the pleco and start changing the water everyday as Rocksor suggested.

• ttertter
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

ttertter replied the topic: hheeellpppp

I have been putting salt in my fresh water tank for months but I stop a bought a week ago and my oscar has been acting weird

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

Firstly, this is the wrong category to ask questions like this. Secondly, you asked a question yesterday about your fish, people have responded To your question, however you haven't responded to any of our questions. Now you've come here and ask another question. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt for the time being, but If I get the slightest inkling that you are wasting our time I'm afraid your account will be terminated immediately.

• Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: hheeellpppp

[From previous thread]

ttertter
I have an Oscar 6 inch and a pleco 8 inch in a 20 gallon tank i am getting a 75 in 2 weeks but I did a water change like I do every week and about a day after my oscar started to act unusually weird he is pick up rocks to big for he's mouth and almost choking him self he is running into the walls not hard just a tap and he is swimming and breathing weird. The tank is at a good 84 degrees as it always is and the pH and the nitrite and nitrates pls help me I worried for him

Rocksor
Did you cycle your tank? Those symptoms are reminiscent of ammonia poisoning and bad water quality. You need to start doing 90% water changes everyday until the 75g comes in. Use Seachem Prime as your water conditioner.

Use a liquid test kit to determine ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates

OFL
Welcome to our community. Okay, this is why we are here, it's always best to research fish before you get them. Without wanting to sound like I am having a go at you, if you had research Oscars beforehand you would know that A 20 gallon tank is far too small.

Okey-dokey, as it stands, you are heavily overstocked by miles, I am quite sure that the water conditions must be poor, doing only one water change per week in such a small tank is going to do little to help your fish. Obviously the 75 gallon tank is going to be good for the Oscar, but it's not big enough for your plec as well. I'm assuming that you want to keep your Oscar? You need to re-home the other fish straightaway, it's absolutely impossible for you to keep it, you will lose both fish if you continue as you are at the moment. In fact, I would probably suggest that you find a home for both of the fish until the new 75 gallon tank is all set up and ready for only fish. Now that is up to you, that is about the best advice I can give you, if you don't want to do this than I can only wish you luck in keeping your fish alive.

UNC-CH
Welcome to the forum.

Did you use a water conditioner to remove chlorine and chloramines when changing the water? How much water did/do you change per week? What are your levels for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH?

I have an 11" adult oscar in my 75 gallon alone with no other fish. I have to perform two 50% water changes a week, or one 75% a week to keep nitrates below 20ppm. You'll have to do the same if you want your oscar to be healthy when you get your 75 gallon.

For now, you really need to rehome the pleco and start changing the water everyday as Rocksor suggested.

[End previous thread]

• ttertter
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

ttertter replied the topic: hheeellpppp

im sorry i am still new and i took in to consiteration of what u said and i understand it, but a thought poped in my head and i put it on here my bad.

• Thank you received: 171

robham7770 replied the topic: hheeellpppp

As far as I know salt has some medicinal purposes in some situations when it come to keeping freshwater fish, but as a rule should not be used on a regular basis. The advice you received from the previous thread is the answer. You have two large fish in a small tank, and the water parameters will be all over the place, resulting in stress for the fish. It is not advisable to keep the two even in a 75, both are high bioload fish, and if you want a lot of activity in the tank, neither is the right choice.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ttertter

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

Okay, I have merged your original question with this question, I expect a response by tomorrow morning.

The following user(s) said Thank You: ttertter

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds