Hole in the head disease.

• mikestike
  • mikestike's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

mikestike created the topic: Hole in the head disease.

Hi. it seems my oscar has hith. Im already doing daily water changes and im getting a treatment from a petshop soon. I was just wondering if the holes will dissappear in time

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:Hole in the head disease.

The bug that caused this disease is called s.vortens google it it is usually found in the gut and symptoms start when the fish fish is stressed. I do not have any first hand experience with this disease I am sure the others will chime in but they will need to know some more information to help you.
Tank size
Tankmates
Filtration
Water change schedule
Donyou test with a liquid test kit if so what are the readings

• mikestike
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

mikestike replied the topic: Re:Hole in the head disease.

I've got all that info already. Im just curious. I really hope the hols go away. How would i know if she was cured?

• mikestike
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

• mikestike
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

This is what she looks like now

• Thank you received: 254

DRACO replied the topic: Re:Hole in the head disease.

mikestike wrote: I've got all that info already. Im just curious. I really hope the hols go away. How would i know if she was cured?

sorry for the previous post but the way you respond to others is not polite...

to answer your question, HITH normally take time to manifest and will keep growing unless the water becomes good. it will take time to heal and becomes scar.

• mikestike
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

mikestike replied the topic: Re:Re:Hole in the head disease.

DRACO wrote:

mikestike wrote: I've got all that info already. Im just curious. I really hope the hols go away. How would i know if she was cured?

sorry for the previous post but the way you respond to others is not polite...

to answer your question, HITH normally take time to manifest and will keep growing unless the water becomes good. it will take time to heal and becomes scar.

Haha. I am really sorry. this is why i hate texting. I prefer to talk on a phone. I always come across as impolite. Once again im sorry. I didn't mean to offend

• Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: Hole in the head disease.

Mike, did you ever get the results of the 2nd nitrate reading? You had gotten a result of zero and were going to try again with the instructions for nitrate solution #2 I had given you.

It will stop getting worse and start to heal when you're nitrate levels stay below 10ppm. With a single oscar and no other fish in a 100 gallon that will take about a 75% water change twice a week, I'd think. But you need your test results to tell you how often and how much water to change.

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: Hole in the head disease.

Something to realize about hith. It takes a long time to develop and become severe. It takes longer to get in check and possibly cure. Also, once contracted, the chances of recurrence are far greater. The crater in your fish's head looks to be long standing, and I believe there will be permanent scarring. The way to really attack this is daily water changes, 5 days consecutive of Epsom salt saturated feed, and a vitamin supplement. With chances of recurrence high, a regular maintenance of twice weekly minimum large changes will be in order for the duration of the fish's life

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Hole in the head disease.

Suprd71 wrote: Something to realize about hith. It takes a long time to develop and become severe. It takes longer to get in check and possibly cure. Also, once contracted, the chances of recurrence are far greater. The crater in your fish's head looks to be long standing, and I believe there will be permanent scarring. The way to really attack this is daily water changes, 5 days consecutive of Epsom salt saturated feed, and a vitamin supplement. With chances of recurrence high, a regular maintenance of twice weekly minimum large changes will be in order for the duration of the fish's life

If HITH is a result of hexamita, it will cure within 7 days with the appropriate treatment (epsom salt solution pellets strongest cure or metronidazole), you will see the white holes get covered but the pits will remain. This is assuming that there are no stress in the aquarium, the water is clean 0ppm ammonia 0ppm nitrites less than 20ppm nitrates, and a good diet with Vitamin C. A lot of pellets nowadays contain Vitamin C, which is listed as L-Asorbic acid or asorbic acid.

I believe that HITH caused by a lack of a good diet, stress, and poor water conditions are the types that take much longer for the oscar to recuperate.

Treating Hexamita aka Spironucleus
www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?339362-Treating-Hexamita-aka-Spironucleus

Case Report and Treatment of Hole in the Head in Oscar, Astronotus ocellatus
www.sid.ir/en/VEWSSID/J_pdf/10161201006.pdf

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.118 seconds