Hole in the head disease.

• mikestike
  • mikestike's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

mikestike replied the topic: Re:Hole in the head disease.

UNC-CH wrote: Mike, did you ever get the results of the 2nd nitrate reading? You had gotten a result of zero and were going to try again with the instructions for nitrate solution #2 I had given you.

It will stop getting worse and start to heal when you're nitrate levels stay below 10ppm. With a single oscar and no other fish in a 100 gallon that will take about a 75% water change twice a week, I'd think. But you need your test results to tell you how often and how much water to change.

No. I c 5 hurricane hit the town. Everything was chaos. I'm doing water changes every day. I'll get the test done as soon as my frien ( wo has the test kit) gets home

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mikestike
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

mikestike replied the topic: Re:Hole in the head disease.

Rocksor wrote:

Suprd71 wrote: Something to realize about hith. It takes a long time to develop and become severe. It takes longer to get in check and possibly cure. Also, once contracted, the chances of recurrence are far greater. The crater in your fish's head looks to be long standing, and I believe there will be permanent scarring. The way to really attack this is daily water changes, 5 days consecutive of Epsom salt saturated feed, and a vitamin supplement. With chances of recurrence high, a regular maintenance of twice weekly minimum large changes will be in order for the duration of the fish's life

If HITH is a result of hexamita, it will cure within 7 days with the appropriate treatment (epsom salt solution pellets strongest cure or metronidazole), you will see the white holes get covered but the pits will remain. This is assuming that there are no stress in the aquarium, the water is clean 0ppm ammonia 0ppm nitrites less than 20ppm nitrates, and a good diet with Vitamin C. A lot of pellets nowadays contain Vitamin C, which is listed as L-Asorbic acid or asorbic acid.

I believe that HITH caused by a lack of a good diet, stress, and poor water conditions are the types that take much longer for the oscar to recuperate.

Treating Hexamita aka Spironucleus
www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?339362-Treating-Hexamita-aka-Spironucleus

Case Report and Treatment of Hole in the Head in Oscar, Astronotus ocellatus
www.sid.ir/en/VEWSSID/J_pdf/10161201006.pdf

Thanks. Uhm. I feed my oscar a combination ok cichlid gold. And frozen food ( brine shrimp. Blood worms) how do i need to prepare the epson salt ?

• Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: Re:Hole in the head disease.

You were in QLD mike? How's the damage up there?

I think the epsom salt is 3/4 of a teaspoon to 1/2 cup of distilled water. Make sure to use epsom salt that doesn't have anything else in it: This is readily available to me in vic, so I'm assuming it might be available to you as well: www.chemistwarehouse.com.au/product.asp?id=58179

To use it, make up the solution and then dropper it onto pellets (cichlid gold should be fine for this). Add enough of the solution that the pellets won't absorb anymore, then only feed epsom salt soaked pellets for 5 days.

• Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: Hole in the head disease.

A category 5? Wow! My state get's hit a lot in the US ... more than any other. I can't remember a cat 5 here though.

• Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: Hole in the head disease.

Yeah, cyclone Marcia. 2nd category 5 in QLD in 4 years (cyclone Yasi in 2011 was cat 5 too). There was a cat 4 (cyclone Lam :whistle:) that hit NT around the same time as cyclone Marcia did.

• mikestike
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

mikestike replied the topic: Re:Re:Hole in the head disease.

Lammergeier wrote: You were in QLD mike? How's the damage up there?

I think the epsom salt is 3/4 of a teaspoon to 1/2 cup of distilled water. Make sure to use epsom salt that doesn't have anything else in it: This is readily available to me in vic, so I'm assuming it might be available to you as well: www.chemistwarehouse.com.au/product.asp?id=58179

To use it, make up the solution and then dropper it onto pellets (cichlid gold should be fine for this). Add enough of the solution that the pellets won't absorb anymore, then only feed epsom salt soaked pellets for 5 days.

Yeah. And the new tank was in Rockhampton. The damage was not that bad as far as i know. But someone else lost a shed and it ended up in our backyard

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.076 seconds