hello.. little oscar not doing good

• lindz0911
  • lindz0911's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

lindz0911 created the topic: hello.. little oscar not doing good

Hello. Me and my boyfriend just recently got back into fish when our friend gave us their tank and fish. So we started with 2 quite large parrot fish and a huge pleco. They were in a 10 gallon so we moved them up to a 29 til we rehome our turtles in the spring(they're in a 55).. then we got 2 small oscars and different fish for the 10ga. well anyhow we did a water change a few days ago and our pleco freaked out and slammed the little guy :-( . The little Oscar is about maybe a little over an inch. The pleco is pushing 12. Although he is very thin for his size.. they were feeding him and the parrot fish goldfish flakes. And he obviously didn't eat algae because the tank was covered and he would suck flakes off the top. Anyways now my lil guy has a swollen eye and it seems that whole side may be bugging him because its not as vibrant as his "healthy" side. His hurt side is gray. He's black and white.. I feel terrible because he's probably my favorite out of all of them and I don't want to lose him! Also he's acting very withdrawn from the other fish or Visa versa? He still swims around sometimes and eats. So is there anything I can do?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: hello.. little oscar not doing good

Hello and welcome to OFL. Unfortunately, although I'm sure you have good intentions, the only thing you can do is find these fish a better home. You need a very large, 100+ gallon tank. You cannot maintain a healthy environment for any of your fish in 10gals of water. The pleco has to go immediately, a fish of that size needs a 55gal or better tank just to itself.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: hello.. little oscar not doing good

Good advice given and it really is the only course of action. Your fish will not survive as is and will suffer greatly until they finally pass away. Sorry for the bad news but you really do need to take everything back and some research to see what is appropriate for your setups.

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: hello.. little oscar not doing good

Welcome to our community, I have moved this post into the "nonemergency health questions".

I can only really echo what my two colleagues have already said. It sounds like you would enjoy keeping these types of fish, may I suggest you read our website from start to finish and then you'll probably get a good idea of the best way to approach keeping all these fish properly.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• lindz0911
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

lindz0911 replied the topic: hello.. little oscar not doing good

Thank you for the welcome and the advice. Me and my boyfriend both had fish growing up. I never had Oscars but he did. I had 3 tanks with a different array fish in each one. I already know they need a bigger tank. I'm waiting to hear back from a friend about a 55.. we plan on getting a 120 or larger when we have the extra cash. But as of right now they're in a 29. Its all we can do at the moment. They're all very happy and healthy besides the little guy. I guess I'll just see how things go for now and keep you posted on anything new. Thank you again for the advice. Hopefully the 55 comes through for the time being!

• lindz0911
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

lindz0911 replied the topic: hello.. little oscar not doing good

Oh and also I've already read the whole site and many forum topics :-D

• Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: hello.. little oscar not doing good

Most people aren't told this until thry already have an oscar in a small tank ... but an oscar needs a 55 gallon tank alone to himself. That's bare-bones minimum. 75 gallon or larger is better.

This is how a young oscar should look in a 55 gallon.

Then, a year later after moving him to a 75 gallon ...

The following user(s) said Thank You: lindz0911

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.099 seconds