NOT ACTIVE ANYMORE

• Jamal
  • Jamal's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

Jamal created the topic: NOT ACTIVE ANYMORE

Hey guys so i removed my koi last week and ever since rex has just been sitting in the corner of the tank not doing anything. The only time he comes out it when i shake the food bag, then he comes and eats then right back to his corner. Can somebody help me figure out what is wrong with him. Is he just lonely?
The topic has been locked.
  • Thank you received: 56

JBare replied the topic: Re:NOT ACTIVE ANYMORE

Hi Jamal ~ Oscars don't get lonely, they actually prefer to be alone. What is his water quality, and what are you using to test his water with?

Also, when was his last WC and how much?
  • Thank you received: 11

toom replied the topic: Re:NOT ACTIVE ANYMORE

JBare wrote: Hi Jamal ~ Oscars don't get lonely, they actually prefer to be alone. What is his water quality, and what are you using to test his water with?

That is not true in this way. Astronotus ocellatus is by nature an fish that build monogamus pairs and live in schools with several individuals in allready discovered groups of more than a dozen exemplars.

Solitary keeped Oscars depend to be more shy and aggressive they also act much more tyranical against different species tank mates and also kill them while in nature Astronotus is an very peaceful cichlid that can some times act very ruff.
The many times documented aggressive behavior against other fishes, hands and gravel vacums is an sheer self protection mechanism and malaise.

Can an Oscar feel like a human to be alone and suffer on the consequences? No but in there cases they can be compared to any other animal that depend to live in groups like parots, guinea pigs, bunnys or any other fish that are group building like Angelfish, Mesonauta, Discus.

By nature even Parachromis , Cichla, Paraneetroplus and many other gaints live in groups.

The main point of sayings like an Oscar, Jaguar, Citrinellum ect is not lonley is that most people can't or don't want afford an tank big enough to keep them in 1/1 constelation or groups or are not able or don't wanna take the time to build an harmonizing pair but absolutely want one.
  • Thank you received: 187

DMD123 replied the topic: NOT ACTIVE ANYMORE

Oscars do not like change. If they have had things a certain way thats they way they like it. So many times changing out decor, switching out a new background or doing anything different, the fishes first response is to 'pout'.
  • Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:NOT ACTIVE ANYMORE

All true a fish that is raised with other fish will naturally tollerate tankmates better than one that isnt
  • Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Re:NOT ACTIVE ANYMORE

daddadoo7 wrote: All true a fish that is raised with other fish will naturally tollerate tankmates better than one that isnt

Except with Capone, right Frank. :evil:

Poseidon gets along with his tank mates for the most part. He has been alone as well as together with other fish. Hasn't really had a major effect on his behavior.
  • Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: NOT ACTIVE ANYMORE

I didn't expect your oscar would sulk once the koi was removed because my oscar didn't even seem to notice when I removed a comet that he had lived with for several months. But it seems your oscar is going through a period of pouting. The good news is that this will soon go away and he'll be back to his normal self.
  • Jamal
  • Jamal's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

Jamal replied the topic: NOT ACTIVE ANYMORE

I did a 60% water change Thursday when i re-homed my koi and that's good that it's only temporary. Thanks Guys now i feel better and i did change out a couple of decos for a small rock instead.
  • Thank you received: 56

JBare replied the topic: Re:Re:NOT ACTIVE ANYMORE

toom wrote:

JBare wrote: Hi Jamal ~ Oscars don't get lonely, they actually prefer to be alone. What is his water quality, and what are you using to test his water with?

That is not true in this way. Astronotus ocellatus is by nature an fish that build monogamus pairs and live in schools with several individuals in allready discovered groups of more than a dozen exemplars.

Solitary keeped Oscars depend to be more shy and aggressive they also act much more tyranical against different species tank mates and also kill them while in nature Astronotus is an very peaceful cichlid that can some times act very ruff.
The many times documented aggressive behavior against other fishes, hands and gravel vacums is an sheer self protection mechanism and malaise.

Can an Oscar feel like a human to be alone and suffer on the consequences? No but in there cases they can be compared to any other animal that depend to live in groups like parots, guinea pigs, bunnys or any other fish that are group building like Angelfish, Mesonauta, Discus.

By nature even Parachromis , Cichla, Paraneetroplus and many other gaints live in groups.

The main point of sayings like an Oscar, Jaguar, Citrinellum ect is not lonley is that most people can't or don't want afford an tank big enough to keep them in 1/1 constelation or groups or are not able or don't wanna take the time to build an harmonizing pair but absolutely want one.

I don't agree with your last statement. When I first started with my O I was more than willing to put him in as big of a tank as necessary, however was told, even on this site, that O's don't get lonely . So I guess it's not so much that I disagree with what you're stating, however I disagree with what seems like a judgemental comment.
  • Thank you received: 11

toom replied the topic: Re:Re:NOT ACTIVE ANYMORE

JBare wrote:

toom wrote:

I don't agree with your last statement. When I first started with my O I was more than willing to put him in as big of a tank as necessary, however was told, even on this site, that O's don't get lonely . So I guess it's not so much that I disagree with what you're stating, however I disagree with what seems like a judgemental comment.

Honestly this was an General statement and not personally against someone. This do not mean that i agree on some kind of keeping methods here as example keeping big cichlids in 240 or 300 Liter tanks with 3 to 4 feet in wide and 16 to 19.5 inches deep what is more an pure containing alive as propper keeping in the best way of the animal and kind of animal abusing.
I also see right in my observation while it seems keepers of big cichlids in minimum recommendations have far more problems in any sense from water chemesty, aggression, sicknesses, stress and early mortality.

This has his origin while minimum recommendations are very different from continent to continent. As example kmuda the Admin of Oscarfish.com tells 55 Gallons would be pure minimum for one Oscar but an 75 Gallon would be more optimal where both are still small. This is the american and also like i saw often the way in asia.
In europe it is an bit different. Here it gets a bit complicated, for swarming fish you can get an pretty exact stocking number with an mathematic formula like 1 cm of fish should be keep in 2 Liters of water. So you can calculate a max number of swarming fish.

For fishes like Oscars it depend more on behavior also there are minimum recommendations for big cichlids, this would be an footprint that allows at least 5 body lengths in wide and 2 in deep so for an Oscar with the typical size of 30cm/11.81" you need 150 x 60 cm of footprint what would be an tank with 150 x 60 x 60 cm and 142 Gallons would be bare minkmum but while solitary keeping is very unpopular and pair or harmonizing fish keeping is more advised an 720 Liter/190 Gallons is the minimum.

This is more a kind of philosophy that anybody has to do on its own. For me i am fine with just 2 big fish and one mid size con in 220 Gallons, i had always the feeling my fishes was cramped in 150 Gallons and also right now i wished it would still be better if i have another 2 feet more in length. For you its maybe a waste of tank volume what i also understand.

Now we could agure points but this is more an pointless thing. I am for my way and you are of corse counting on yours that i respect while its not my and thinking its far from ideal.
Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.118 seconds