HITH

• mikestike
  • mikestike's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

mikestike created the topic: HITH

Thi picture was taken 4 days after i added promethyasul to the tank. Almost looks like the disease suddenly started getting worse. Can any body tell me what the general steps are to recovery?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 254

DRACO replied the topic: HITH

2 days ago, you posted a picture of the same fish but seems to have different stage of HITH. can you refresh what step had been implemented... in that post, you said you had applied some med... i just want to check if you do some water change prior to med application?

is the other picture taken same day?

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 415

OFL replied the topic: HITH

Yes, it certainly looks like hole in the head. However, it doesn't look too advanced at this stage which means with a little bit of luck, you should be able to clear it up. But you're going to have to maintain water quality to the absolute best you can possibly get. Make sure those nitrate levels are never above 20, lower if possible. Only feed your fish every couple of days for the time being, this will reduce waste going into the water. You could try and find some vitamin supplements that could be added to the water, this may help a little bit. As for food, just use a really good quality pellet for the time being.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• mikestike
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

mikestike replied the topic: Re:HITH

DRACO wrote: 2 days ago, you posted a picture of the same fish but seems to have different stage of HITH. can you refresh what step had been implemented... in that post, you said you had applied some med... i just want to check if you do some water change prior to med application?

is the other picture taken same day?

Ive been taking a picture every day to try and see if there was any progress. As for steps. I did a 40 % water change just before the treatment was added. I removed all carbon from the filters. At the moment i have a 1500 liter per hour filtration rate in a 140 liter tank. In the filters i have seachem matrix and purigen to try and keep nitrates low. i did a test yesterday and nitrate was between 0 and 5.

• mikestike
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

mikestike replied the topic: Re:HITH

OFL wrote: Yes, it certainly looks like hole in the head. However, it doesn't look too advanced at this stage which means with a little bit of luck, you should be able to clear it up. But you're going to have to maintain water quality to the absolute best you can possibly get. Make sure those nitrate levels are never above 20, lower if possible. Only feed your fish every couple of days for the time being, this will reduce waste going into the water. You could try and find some vitamin supplements that could be added to the water, this may help a little bit. As for food, just use a really good quality pellet for the time being.

Thanks. I definitely think i need some vitamins. At the moment I'm using cichlid gold and cichlid frozen foods ( brine shrimp, blood worms and krill) but i read that high protein can also be a cause

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Re:HITH

High protein is not the cause. Lack of vitamins is one possible cause.

• Thank you received: 254

DRACO replied the topic: Re:HITH

i agree with Rock, high protein is not the cause but it may trigger the onset of HITH... remember, high protein induce more growth and more waste... if you overlook the quality of water for a long time, it can trigger HITH...

and the best cure for HITH is to avoid it.... pristine water, varied foods, and the right tank size is all you need...

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.173 seconds