Oscar Breathing heavily, again.

• erilc
  • erilc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

erilc created the topic: Oscar Breathing heavily, again.

I posted a topic earlier about my fish that had a sore fin, i tried to bump it but didnt get any response. So i decided to start a new one, you can find the old one here: oscarfishlover.com/forum/44-emergency-please-help/305973-oscar-breathing-heavily?start=30

The problem is it dindt heal as it should, I did as everyone here told me and did bigger water changing so i have lowered the nitrate levels. My fish got better, the heavy breathing decreased and everything looked good. But it looks like the fin hasn't grown anything at all. And now the fish started breathing heavily again maybe one week ago. The fin is white on the edges where it's torn and you can see red blood vessels going out to the wound on the fin. What should i do? Is it infected? should i use antibiotics?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 415

OFL replied the topic: Oscar Breathing heavily, again.

Have you tested your water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH? If not, that is the first thing you need to do as we will want to see exactly what condition your water is in. Also, can you please take a photograph if possible, that will also help. I'm afraid this does rather sound like a problem caused by poor water quality. It could be a case that the fish has got some kind of fin rot that may need treating, but until we can see a photo it's difficult to say. In any case, medication is only successful if you first have good water conditions. So please get those answers to us ASAP and we can start trying to help. As for the heavy breathing, I'm afraid there could be numerous reasons why the fish is breathing heavily. It could be as simple as lack of oxygen, but it could be much more serious as well.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• erilc
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

erilc replied the topic: Oscar Breathing heavily, again.

ph: 6.8
KH: 10d
GH: 8d
Nitrate: 10 mg/l
Nitrite: 0 mg/l
Cl: 0 mg/l
Ammonia: 0 mg/l
Temperature: 26C

There is no lack of oxygen in the aquarium, if you look at the other fish you can barely see it breathing. I don't have any picture right now, as im not home. but i can get one tomorrow.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

There is nothing wrong with your water. Temperature is about spot-on as well. There's not really much I can offer as advice for the time being. It's just a case of just keeping an eye on the fish and see how he goes on for the next day or two. It's difficult to see why the fish is breathing heavily at the moment. You could try introducing an air stone just to see that helps. The temperature is perfectly okay, that's certainly not too hot. There doesn't appear to be any toxins in the water that could be stressing the fish. So I really don't know, it could be something, it could be nothing. If the fish is ill then it's going to become apparent over the next few days as it will just get worse and you will notice it getting worse. Normally, when Oscars are really bad, they will breathe heavily, become motionless and normally almost lay on their side.

Let us know how the fish is behaving tomorrow, give it 12 hours. Test your water but only carry out a partial water change If the nitrate levels go above 20 ppm. You shouldn't really have to change too much water which is good because we don't want to stress the fish out any more than necessary. Like you say, the other fish are fine so this is probably an issue with the one fish.

• Thank you received: 254

DRACO replied the topic: Oscar Breathing heavily, again.

erilc wrote: ph: 6.8
KH: 10d
GH: 8d
Nitrate: 10 mg/l
Nitrite: 0 mg/l
Cl: 0 mg/l
Ammonia: 0 mg/l
Temperature: 26C

There is no lack of oxygen in the aquarium, if you look at the other fish you can barely see it breathing. I don't have any picture right now, as im not home. but i can get one tomorrow.

with those parameters, i don't see any reason why it is breathing heavily.
how about his appetite? newly feed fish normally will gasp for air too..
white edges on fins might be the new membrane, sign of healing

• erilc
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

It's strange because he has good appetite. He's breathing heavily all the time, even when he's not eating. I wonder why the fin looks just as it was one month ago. How quick should they heal?
I will get a picture later this day.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

It depends on whether there is a bacterial infection stopping the healing process. Also, if the damage is quite severe and has affected the very base of the fins and they may not grow back properly. However, photograph would be helpful

• erilc
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

This is what i could get for now, since im not home. My mom isn't the best photographer.

• Thank you received: 254

DRACO replied the topic: Oscar Breathing heavily, again.

those are the same injury from the bullying... the white edges means
it is now starting to grow... just keep the water change regularly and it
will heal soon

• erilc
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Here you have a video of the fish:

It didn't eat today so i think thats a bad sign, what do you think guys?

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.139 seconds