Oscar Breathing heavily, again.

• erilc
  • erilc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

erilc replied the topic: Oscar Breathing heavily, again.

The fish is now breathing less so hopefully it will get good soon.
But it also has gotten something on its eye, does anyone know what it might be? This is on his healthy eye (the other eye is half-blind) so really need to know if it's something bad.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Oscar Breathing heavily, again.

Good to hear that the breathing has improved. How are the fishes fins looking?I could see that your other fish was not showing the same signs of breathing heavily, hopefully this is a good sign that the problem is just with the individual fish, or should I say it's good news that the whole tank is not affected. As for the fishes eye, we would really need to see a photograph or a video. Occasionally if the fish is a small injury, it will get a small film forming over the eye.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• erilc
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Yes, you can see that the other fish is barely breathing.
Do you need better pictures or can't you see the pictures above?

• erilc
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

I can't see any big improvements on the fins, if there are any then they are very small.

• erilc
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

OFL wrote: Good to hear that the breathing has improved. How are the fishes fins looking?I could see that your other fish was not showing the same signs of breathing heavily, hopefully this is a good sign that the problem is just with the individual fish, or should I say it's good news that the whole tank is not affected. As for the fishes eye, we would really need to see a photograph or a video. Occasionally if the fish is a small injury, it will get a small film forming over the eye.

I can't see any big improvements on the fins, if there are any then they are very small.
Yes, you can see that the other fish is barely breathing.
Do you need better pictures or can't you see the pictures above?

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Oscar Breathing heavily, again.

Is it the right eye as you look at the Fish? It looks kind of cloudy from what I can see. I've experienced similar things before with some of my Oscars. A lot of times it's just after I have introduced them to the aquarium, but sometimes if the fish has somehow received some trauma To its eye then it can result in the slight cloudiness which can often appear to look like a film that eventually peels off. However, poor water conditions can often affect a fishes eye. To be honest with you, it's impossible to say why this has happened, if your water is in good condition then obviously you can hopefully rule that out. However, if the fish is already a little bit stressed then that could be the reason as well.

Have you been testing your water every day for ammonia, nitrite, nitrates and pH, is very important that you check every day for the time being. If the water is in good condition then I don't see any reason why the fin or eye won't heal.

A better photograph would obviously be helpful

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• erilc
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

OFL wrote: Is it the right eye as you look at the Fish? It looks kind of cloudy from what I can see. I've experienced similar things before with some of my Oscars. A lot of times it's just after I have introduced them to the aquarium, but sometimes if the fish has somehow received some trauma To its eye then it can result in the slight cloudiness which can often appear to look like a film that eventually peels off. However, poor water conditions can often affect a fishes eye. To be honest with you, it's impossible to say why this has happened, if your water is in good condition then obviously you can hopefully rule that out. However, if the fish is already a little bit stressed then that could be the reason as well.

Have you been testing your water every day for ammonia, nitrite, nitrates and pH, is very important that you check every day for the time being. If the water is in good condition then I don't see any reason why the fin or eye won't heal.

A better photograph would obviously be helpful

The water should be fine, will check tomorrow.

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: Oscar Breathing heavily, again.

less gasping for air is already a big improvement... the damage on the pectoral fin is severe
and it will take time to regenerate fully,... just keep the water under check...

• erilc
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

I found something very strange today, if you look at the fish from beneath you can see a white coat on the fish. Any idea of what that might be?
And it looks like the eye have gotten slightly worse today, it looks like the white thing on the eye have gotten bigger.

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: Oscar Breathing heavily, again.

if thing is getting worse, you need to do drastic move... set up a hospital tank or a bucket, fill it with tank water, dose with meth blue and rock salt, get the fish and slide it in a wet clean towel to wipe those white fungus, and drop to the solution, keep it there for 10 minutes and then put it back to the tank.. do the same towel procedure after 12 hours in the same solution...

this approach is called "Immersion"

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.084 seconds