Rescue Oscar Severe HITH

• Mike the Oscar
  • Mike the Oscar's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Mike the Oscar created the topic: Rescue Oscar Severe HITH

I recently inherited a rescue oscar with quite severe HITH. The oscar is adult and believed to be around 3yo. It is now in a 125g with eheim 2217, xp3 and penguin HOB so the current setup is adequate.

I've ordered some Ken's Premium Floating Cichlid Pellets 7.5mm and Premium Metronidazole & Garlic Stick pellets. I'm not sure if it will take the medicated pellets directly but if it doesn't i will just stuff it in some shrimp. It will also be eating various seafoods, insects etc...

I will probably still get some metro and/or prazi powder but for now hopefully the medicated food can help with some of the HITH. I will also be using vitachem on the non-medicated pellets.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I would be particularly interested in hearing if Epson salt treatment would be effective and if so how to proceed with treatment.

I cant seem to figure how to add images from my desktop.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: Rescue Oscar Severe HITH

Hello and welcome to OFL. I would like to see a pic of the guy to assess the severity. You are on the right track for treatment. Whatever food you get him on, soaking it in Ep salt will be the first thing. Dissolve 3/4 tsp of es in a half cup of distilled water. Saturate the food and feed this exclusively for 5 consecutive days. Clean water has great healing power as well. Throw as much fresh water at him as you can possibly manage. Hith takes a long time to get in check and ultimately clear up. Could be many months. Kudos on the rescue, good luck to you and the Oscar. Ask as much and as often as you feel necessary.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Mike the Oscar
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Mike the Oscar replied the topic: Rescue Oscar Severe HITH

Hi Suprd71,

Thanks for the reply. Are all store bought epson salts equal or are there any particular type/brands i should look for?

How would i go about uploading an image from my desktop? I see for url images but not from desktop.

How ever bad you think it is, it is probably worse. His forehead has the texture of cottage cheese...

thanks

You want Magnesium sulfate for ep salt. No perfumes etc. Best way to post pics is open a photobucket account. Upload pics to your pb library. To put on the forum, copy the img code of the pic and paste directly into the forum thread box. I have seen and dealt with plenty of hith cases. Currently own a pair I took on in July of 2013. I am stepping out soon for work, dreaded night shift, but will monitor this thread closely and offer any help you need. Large number of experienced and knowledgeable Oscar keepers here, lotsa help available.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Mike the Oscar

• Mike the Oscar
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

• Mike the Oscar
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

• Mike the Oscar
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Regarding epson salt dosing, how does this work to eliminate internal parasites? Is it due to an internal salt gradient? Would this dehydrate the oscar at all? Is it safe to increase the duration of this treatment for severe cases?

Once again thanks for your help.

I've been keeping fish for around 10 years but this is my first oscar and first time dealing with HITH. I'm mainly into SW reefs right now.

• Thank you received: 254

DRACO replied the topic: Rescue Oscar Severe HITH

pristine water and varied foods help expedite recovery...
epsom salt for digestive improvement while rock salt help to sooth
the would that develop over time...

ouch..., that picture show how bad it was neglected..
but it also shows he/she is a fighter... just make him eat anything first... or if he /she is eating
anything, it will heal soon under your care....

• Mike the Oscar
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Thanks for the suggestion

He is still eating so that is definitely good thing. He still seems somewhat lethargic though hopefully he will become more active as he settles in and treatment takes effect.

Wow, poor Oscar. Believe it or not, we have seen worse. Obviously kept prior in horrid conditions, it may also be still acclimating to good surroundings. I don't think the fish will ever recover fully, most likely will be permanent scarring. Other than salting the tank and food, I would hold back on other meds for now. Most meds are harsh, and this guy may not be quite up to speed yet. Could you get a sideview pic or two. Would like to see if there is any lateral line erosion, possible finrot or fungal issues.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds