Oscar gets scratched up at night

• plmok61
  • plmok61's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

plmok61 created the topic: Oscar gets scratched up at night

Over the past week or so we've been waking up in the morning to find that our oscar is scratched up. The scratches are usually on his sides and never on his head. This morning we noticed a couple of his fins have small tears now. He is all alone in the tank so he has no other fish to fight with.

We were starting to get some algae in the tank so we have been adding Algaefix as instructed on the bottle. 25 drops for ever 10 gallons every 3 days. I've noticed him freak out a little bit every time we add the Algaefix. Could this be the issue?

EDIT: Added pictures

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 4

bskelton0907 replied the topic: Re:Oscar gets scratched up at night

Whats the tank size? Water parameters? Filters? Water change schedule? Usally algea is caused by too much light. I would quit using the algaefix and keep the lights off for a week. And do water changes
The following user(s) said Thank You: plmok61

• plmok61
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

plmok61 replied the topic: Re:Oscar gets scratched up at night

-Its a 29 gallon tank (upgrading to 55 gallons soon). He is still pretty small, about 4 inches long.
-We haven't gotten the water checked lately but whenever we do everything looks good.
-We use the Aqua Clear Power Filter.
-Weekly 50% water changes.

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: Re:Oscar gets scratched up at night

Stop using the algaefix. He is irritated with his small confines and stressing because of same. Weekly 50% water changes are not enough. 55 gals will also be too small once the Oscar gets beyond 9ins. For him to do really well in life a 75-90gal minimum tank is needed with heavy filtration and a minimum weekly 75% water change.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:Oscar gets scratched up at night

What size aquaclear ? Like dave said dont bother with the 55...will look like a fat guy in a little suit go for the 75 to 90 gal. Your gonna wanna bump up your filtration too. I had an aquaclear 110 and eheim 2217 on my 55 gal. The oscar out grew it in less than mos

Also noticed you have an ammonia gaurd ... not needed if your properly filtered (mature bb colony) and feed properly its not needed.

Also noticed you said "havemt gotten the water tested" this is something you should be doing with a liquid test kit (api) these things are minimum standards if your anning on keeping large cichlids

• plmok61
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Did a big water change and stopped using the Algaefix and he has been back to normal for the last couple days. Thanks for the advice and I'll look into bigger tanks.

Good news.. keep up with plenty of fresh water, nothing but benefit for Oscars.

• plmok61
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

So I may have spoken too soon. I just found him this morning with a big gash on his head. He also isn't eating. We have two types of fish food. Mini Cichlid Pellets and Spectrum Large Fish Formula. We usually feed him the mini pellets because they are not as messy but now he just spits them out without chewing. He sort of eats the Spectrum pellets, he chews them up then spits most of it out.

I also did another water change today.

The gash on his head will heal quickly with plenty of clean water. The major issue , as I stated a few days ago, is that his tank is way too small. He is in his growth spurt months, where he should grow about an inch a month. Your fish desperately needs a tank almost triple what he has. You dont want growth stunting or stress related health problems that will affect the rest of his life. As for food, the NLS pellets may be too large, and perhaps he is bored with the others. Not uncommon with juvie Oscars. A wider variety of food, some veg based pellets, vitamin supplement all contribute greatly to a growing Oscars well being. First order of biz however is a suitable tank. ASAP!

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Re:Oscar gets scratched up at night

He might be getting spooked at night, and hitting himself on his favorite decor.

Show a whole tank in a picture.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.120 seconds