hith

• garcia
  • garcia's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

garcia created the topic: hith

I have a 75 gallon tank with one oscar and two bristlenose plecos. I had posted on facebook a picture of my oscar and two people said he had hole in the head. Someone already confirmed its hith so do i use metro. I did a 50% water change earlier. Im not to sure where to go from here i have been doing 20 % water changes every week i guess thats not enough.
[/URL]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: hith

I have downloaded the photograph, blown it up so I can see things closer up and I believe that we are looking at sensory pitting which is quite normal. At first glance, some of them look like small craters, but I am almost certain this is not the case.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

Here is a blown up segment of your photograph where you can see things in more detail.

This is a another example of sensory pits, you can see the similarity between this photo and your fish

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: hith

Hello and welcome to the site. The erosion around the nostrils and pitting / cratering is indeed early stages of hith. Caused in this case by living in less than ideal water. 20% weekly w/c is the culprit. To halt this quickly I would do twice weekly water changes of 75%. Your fish is in not too bad of condition right now, but a big upgrade in water quality is very necessary.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• garcia
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

garcia replied the topic: hith

So should i not treat with metro and just clean up tank. I had just moved tank and switched to sand and it was staying really dirty with the sand. I did neglect him a little before and after the move by not staying on my waterchange schedule.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

I assume you have a nitrate test? Have you tested the nitrates lately? How big is your aquarium, what kind of filtration are you using?

It'll probably take you a couple of weeks, but gets into the habit of keeping the nitrate levels no higher than 20 ppm. So if you carry out a water change today for instance, check the nitrates in three or four days time, if they are above 20 ppm, carry out a small water change to bring them down.

• garcia
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

It is a 75 gallon with just him and two bristlenose plecos. The filtration is two marineland 350 marineland bio wheels . I do have an api master test kit the last time i tested everything was fine but the ammonia level was a liitle elevated i think it was the first line on the tester. I did the water change yesterday so i will check all the water parameters sunday.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: hith

While your filters are quality units, and offer good bio filtration, they are lacking in mechanical. Swapping one for an Aquaclear 110 would give good mechanical support. I also suggest you do another water change before Sunday. Huge amounts of clean water are needed to first get hith halted, then begin to clear up. It takes a long time to develop and longer to clear up. Also be aware that once hith is contracted, chances of recurrence are greater. For the future well being of your Oscar, a regular twice weekly large volume water change will be in order.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• garcia
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

The marinelands have four slots each should i just fill them up i dont really have the money right now to buy new stuff. I only have two slots on each one full i could buy some filtration pad from the local pet store and make some new filters out of the old frames. That way could fill up the other slots in the filters.

• benmcfadden
  • Loose Lips Sink Ships
  • Thank you received: 877

benmcfadden replied the topic: hith

at best make sure you are doing regular, bug water changes

Haku, I knew your were good.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.110 seconds