Swollen abdomen

• New Fish Lady
  • New Fish Lady's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

New Fish Lady created the topic: Swollen abdomen

I inherited 2 albino oscars about 3 months ago, I have them in a 65 gallon tank with an angel fish and a plecco. I noticed that one of them seemed to look a little bloated when I first got it. Admittedly I should have known someting was up then, but I am a new fish person and thought maybe it was a she and she had eggs...but now it seems to be getting worse, and the skin is starting to turn a dark color, almost like bruising. The fish has also started gasping occasionally. I have a feeling things are not looking good for my new friend, but I am hoping maybe there is something I can do to fix it? Any help would be appreciated, I am even willing to take it to a vet if I can find one...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 415

OFL replied the topic: Swollen abdomen

Welcome to our community. Okay, the first thing we need to know is if you have carried out a water test? If not, you need to get some test kits immediately, these are for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH. I suggest that you look at something like API (aquarium pharmaceuticals). They sell mass tickets that will provide you with all the essential testing kits that you need. In a lot of cases illness in fish is directly related to poor water conditions. If the fish is exposed to dangerous toxins then it's inevitable that they are going to become ill. There really are too many ailments the list that could occur if the fish is exposed to poor water quality, but obviously we will try and help if we can. But you will need to get these results to us before we can really help. It's a little bit like going to the doctors, if you rang him up and said that you had a really bad cough, he couldn't really do anything without examining you first and taking tests, that is the situation we are in with your fish.

Regarding the swollen abdomen, this can be related to a parasitic internal infection. Constipation could also cause swollen abdomen. I think it would be helpful if you could post a photograph for us. You didn't mention whether the fish is eating okay?

Could you also provide us with information on what siltation you have on your aquarium. Finally, I'm sorry to say that your tank is not anywhere big enough for the amount of fish you are keeping. So unfortunately you not only have the problem with your fish to deal with, you will also have to think about the space that you have at your disposal for the amount of fish you are keeping. In other words, you will either have to upgrade your tank size, or think about rehoming some of the fish. It's simply not possible to keep that amount of fish in a 65 gallon tank, you will never be able to keep fish healthy. We will be here waiting for your reply.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• New Fish Lady
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

New Fish Lady replied the topic: Swollen abdomen

I went and got a test kit, ammonia was .25, nitrites were .5 and the nitrates were really bad, like 160 ppm. I did a large water change, and vacuumed the gravel really thoroughly but neither of the oscars ate yesterday or today. They were both eating normally before that. Today the nitrates are down to like 80 ppm nitrites .25. Should I do another water change today?
I was afraid that the tank was too small, I have been doing a lot of reading, it's the tank they came to me in. Could I just move the angelfish and keep the oscars together? I will post some pictures when I get home.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Swollen abdomen

I would keep doing 25% water changes everyday for 1 week, gravel vacuuming or slowing remove the gravel to remove any uneaten food and waste. After which, do enough water changes or large enough water change to bring the nitrates down to less than 20ppm.

Until the water conditions improve (ammonia=nitrite=0ppm and nitrates less than 20ppm), the condition of the oscar will be difficult to treat.

What type of filters do you have?

• New Fish Lady
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Is there a trick to posting pictures? I can't figure it out

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 415

OFL replied the topic: Swollen abdomen

Posting photographs is a piece of cake.

1 go to photo bucket and create an account
2 upload the photos into your account
3Open photo in your photo bucket account and copy the image code (on the right-hand side of the screen)
2 then simply paste the image code into your message on here

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: New Fish Lady

• New Fish Lady
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

• New Fish Lady
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

• New Fish Lady
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

I have 2 Penguin Bio wheel 2000's running, each filter has 2 of penguin the filter pads plus the when filter.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Swollen abdomen

when was the last time that the oscar pooped?

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds