Broke jaw help?

• Mason_yohe_41
  • Mason_yohe_41's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Mason_yohe_41 created the topic: Broke jaw help?

I am new to this forum I signed up awhile ago and just read the forum.

Now the question is at Hand is that I have a tiger Oscar that is about a year and 8 months that is about 5-6 inches and an albino Oscar that is a year and 5 months old about 5-5.75 inches and they both grew together in a twenty tall and before I get stoned for the small tank lol it was because I couldn't afford the appropriate size at the time. But that being said I got a 60 gallon and moved them and when I moved them I noticed a injury to the tiger Oscar's jaw that he hadn't had when they were in the original tank and it seemed broke and that was about April of 2015 and it is currently June and as he has grown he has gotten more ability to open his mouth but still has trouble and it is still kinked in and was wondering if there was a way of treating it or is he now a special needs fish or as he keeps growing will it start to open more? Help please?

Ps I only have a iPhone and don't know how to post pictures to the forum with it so I can't post pictures

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Broke jaw help?

It should have fallen back into place by now. You could take him out, and see if you can gently open and close his mouth. If it doesn't go back in place, then it will be like that for the rest of its life.

• Mason_yohe_41
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Mason_yohe_41 replied the topic: Broke jaw help?

He has problems eating how would I proceed opening his jaw should I sadate him any way have him held down ?

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Broke jaw help?

You can get fish anaesthetic, Koi Carp keepers sometimes user if they need to take their carp out for treatment. However, in many cases they actually have an expert who does the job for them. I think you can get anaesthetic for fish, but if you've never done it before it may be a little bit risky trying to do it yourself. They use fish anaesthetic for fish euthanasia as well, so it would be quite easy to kill the fish by accident if you use too much. If you take the fish out yourself, then either keep it in a couple of inches of water, maybe in a large reciprocal, or put it onto a padded surface so it can't damage itself. Also, you may want to get a wet cloth and cover its eyes in order to stop it panicking and jumping around.

As for actually getting the jaw back into place again, it's not something I've ever had to do myself. It could be the case that the jaw has dislocated that you may be able to get it back into place. However, it's not something I really would like to do myself, so you may want to give the fish a few days and see if it can start feeding properly. If it does have serious problems eating then you have two choices, either you can try and take it out and put the problem right, or it would be a case of euthanasia, you don't want the fish starving to death because it can't feed.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

Mason_yohe_41 wrote: He has problems eating how would I proceed opening his jaw should I sadate him any way have him held down ?

At 6"' sedation is not necessary. Set aside a wet towel (wet from old tank water) on the floor so that the fish can lay comfortably. Once you net the fish, lay it down on the towel while still in the net. Use your finger to gently open the mouth and gently close the mouth. If the mouth is clamped shut tight, you might have to wait 15 seconds for the fish to open the mouth.

If the top is the problem, place your thumb on top of the jaw and the forefinger (pointer) under the lower lip and gently pull the top lip forward and gently push back in place. If it is the bottom, place your thumb under the chin and the forefinger on the top of the bottom lip and pull the bottom gently forward and gently push back in place. If the mouth does not move, do not force it. If the fish jerks let go quickly.

Once you put the fish down on the towel, you should be able to move the jaw in less than 1 minute. If it takes longer, just put the fish back.

• Mason_yohe_41
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Thank you for the help I will try to relocate the jaw but if not I will follow your advice and euthanize the Oscar

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

I would definitely give the Oscar good chance, it may take a few days for it to get used to the jaw if it's not going to go back to normal. Fish can go without food for a long time, so I would certainly want to give the fish a chance to find a way to feed properly.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

I'm not sure a photo is really going to be any help to be honest. However, I don't think it's fair to let the fish suffer if it cannot eat. So the kindest thing to do would be to euthanise it if it's obvious it can't be properly. By the way, how big is your aquarium?

• Mason_yohe_41
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

He is in a 60 gallon tank and how do I post a picture with my iPhone?

Upload to photobucket and copy the link

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.131 seconds