Hith help please??

• Calvin123
  • Calvin123's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Calvin123 created the topic: Hith help please??

Hi everyone

Hoping for some help. I have 2 oscars, one with pretty severe hith and the other developing it as well. One is 10 inch and the other 12. The one with the more severe case has a large hole by one eye and that eye has now started to cloud over. Tank parameters are: 150 gallon, 50% water changes weekly. Ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates less than 10 ppm. Two canister filters, marineland 530 and 360, cleaned once a month, no carbon. No live plants, only tank mate a 15 inch pleco (I know, messy tank

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Hith help please??

Welcome to the forum.

You should post pictures so we can better assess the fishes condition. What kind of tests are you doing? Should be liquid test kit, not strips.

You are under filtered for the bio-load of your fish. It should be doubled as I think your total gph output is sitting at about 900 between your two filters and should be at least 1500 and probably higher with the three large fish. Seems unlikely they have been in the pristine conditions you describe for most of their lives as HITH and the cloudy eyes is caused by bad water conditions and ammonia burn, built up over a long period of time.

How long have you owned the fish for and how long have they been in their current set up?

• Calvin123
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Calvin123 replied the topic: Hith help please??

A.p.i. Liquid test, not strips.

They have been in this tank almost a year, a 150 gallon the year before that until it started leaking...before that rescued from a 40 gallon breeder tank. They shared the tank with a marbled sand goby until about 8 months ago when he got too big and we moved him into his own tank.

Advice on filtration? As I said, these are a rescue...I've only had a 55 gallon of small fish before and didn't quite know what I was in for rescuing these guys...but I've gotten quite attached and want to keep them healthy.

• Calvin123
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Calvin123 replied the topic: Hith help please??

How can I post pic?

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Hith help please??

If your using tapatalk to use the forum, you can pics directly from your device to the forum. If your using the regular site you can create a free account at photobucket. Then upload your pics to photobucket, then copy and paste the image code of each pic here. When you test nitrates with the API kit are you shaking the heck outta bottle 2? It need to be shakin really well and even beat on a table or something as the particles inside settle and stick to the bottom and will give you a false low reading. 50% water change a week is not enough for the stocking you have in that tank. 75% every 3 or 4 days would be what is required. And you don't need to clean your canister filters monthly. You can leave them for a few months. My FX5 just went a year and a half between cleanings. I keep large debris from going into the filter and only water goes through my filters, so it wasn't even that dirty then. You do need more filtration though. Lots of clean water and good diet are the ways to get rid of HITH. Lots and lots of clean water.

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: Hith help please??

i am just wondering ... how can your fish develop HITH with a perfect water parameters.... yeah... post a picture please...

• Thank you received: 18

turtle lover replied the topic: Hith help please??

Isn't diet also a factor?

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: Hith help please??

turtle lover wrote: Isn't diet also a factor?

i don't have any proof yet but i do not agree on diet to cause HITH...
stray power leak sometimes may trigger stress and fish could develop
HITH but with perfect water parameters... it can negate the effect..

to OP... how long does the HITH develop in your fish?

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Hith help please??

DRACO wrote: i am just wondering ... how can your fish develop HITH with a perfect water parameters.... yeah... post a picture please...

I believe, from his second comment, that it is because these are rescue fish. They have not been living their whole life under these relatively good conditions.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Hith help please??

Indeed, rescue fish can suffer many after effects of prior shoddy care. I also have to question the nitrate level. I have big Oscars and plecos, it takes a 75+% change every 4-5 days max to keep water in good standing. And, I have significantly more filtration.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.114 seconds