Hith help please??

• Calvin123
  • Calvin123's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Calvin123 replied the topic: Hith help please??

Thanks for all the responses everyone. Looks like I need to up the water changes! Yes, they definitely came from less than ideal water conditions, 40 gallon tank wasn't even close to cutting it for these 3 and a sand goby. There was also an incident about a year ago when they were left to the care of the person watching the cats and dogs while we went on vacation...who didn't understand anything about feeding fish and just kept dumping way too much food in for a week, that's when it got really bad. Condition has improved since then but never cleared up. Getting off work early tomorrow so I will post an updated nitrate test with a very well shaken bottle as I too feel like the results might have been off last time. And a pic if I can get her to show her "bad side", every time I approach the tank with my phone she wants to turn the other way.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Calvin123
  • Calvin123's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Calvin123 replied the topic: Hith help please??

Did the nitrate test before changing water and...yeah, I wasn't shaking the bottle enough. Nitrates were way too high, about 80 ppm. Did a 75% water change and am planning on repeating the water changes daily until nitrate levels are down. What kind of filtration would be recommended for this tank?

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Hith help please??

That monster pleco is a real burden on your bio load. I have a similar sized Sailfin plec and it produces more waste than 2 adult Oscars combined. Your filters are good quality, just a bit under capacity for you volume and stock. Ideally you would want an FX6 and a pair of Aquaclear 110's. If thats not an option and you want to keep the Marinelands, you could add the hobs for under 200 bucks. Regardless the amount of filtration, it is not a substitute for water changes. You will still need a 75% change every 4 -5 days.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.062 seconds