I'm back, with a new Oscar and possible ick!

• Nyx
  • Nyx's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16

Nyx replied the topic: Re:I'm back, with a new Oscar and possible ick!

Good to hear!!
Here is a pic I took during a wc a few days ago, Loki is in the bottom of the tank on the left and you can see thor on the right, I liked this picture bc you can really see their size difference in it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: metalchick92

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 581

Suprd71 replied the topic: Re:I'm back, with a new Oscar and possible ick!

Wouldnt hurt to give Loki an Epsom salt treatment. Maybe Rocksor gives you some input, and we all know to follow that advice to a tee.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Nyx
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

I was considering doing a salt treatment of some sort, I just didn't know if I should use aq salt or Epsom. Hopefully Rocksor will chime in for me and give me some advice too lol. I'm already attached to this little guy and you guys know how paranoid I can get about my fish

• Thank you received: 0

metalchick92 replied the topic: I'm back, with a new Oscar and possible ick!

hey I had ick in my tank not that long ago. being new to fish keeping I didn't realize you had to change carbon every 8 weeks in your filter.. maybe this could be a possible issue for you. all the best with your fish :) hope you found this helpful.

I bought anti (tri*sulfa tablets) did several water changes (important to remove carbon whilst fish receiving treatment) and by the end of the week the ick was gone.. :)

• Nyx
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

Thanks for the tip metalchick92, I actually don't use any carbon in my filters, but I think that's just a personal preference. I wish you the best of luck with your fish as well!

• Nyx
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

So I'd like to start a salt treatment to help little Loki out. The white spots seem a little bigger today. Can someone suggest a method for me? Maybe give me some detailed instructions lol. And if I should use aquarium or epsom salt. Any help is greatly appreciated!

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Re:I'm back, with a new Oscar and possible ick!

Do not use epsom salt for ich.

Aquarium salt is just ocean water with other minerals. You can use cheaper pickling salt. Dose at a rate of 3 tablespoons per 5 gallons, and add over a period of 48 hours for ich. Maintain salt levels for up to 2 weeks after you see the last ich gone. The salt will also prevent the fish from losing too much minerals due to stress from the ailment.

If it is fungus, I recommend Seachem Paraguard first. Get enough to dose every day for 2 weeks. You can mix salt with paraguard in your tank.

What's the ph of your tank?

• Thank you received: 127

streetsmart73 replied the topic: Re:I'm back, with a new Oscar and possible ick!

Suprd71 wrote: Oh yes, Thor is doing great as well. About 3yrs old now, 14-15ins. has a 180 to himself. King of his castle!

that's huge :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

"somewhere in time ... gone with the wind"

• Nyx
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

Hey guys! Sorry for the delay in response. Thanks for getting back to me! Thanks for the tips Rock! My tank ph is always a little hard to tell exactly, I use the API liquid kit and on the first test it's always a strong looking 7.6 so I use the high ph test and it always comes out 7.4 so I've always said it was just 7.4-7.5 does that help?
Speaking of the liquid test kit, I've looked all over this am but I think my test instructions have gotten thrown away recently. Does anyone have a link to some instructions for it?

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Re:I'm back, with a new Oscar and possible ick!

If you decide to go medication route, Jungle Fungus Clear or API Furan-2 will work with your PH. If you have to order, I would get Seachem Kanaplex.

www.apifishcare.com/pdf/Freshwater_Master_Test_Kit_34_Insert.pdf

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.077 seconds