will Oscar fish lips will grow back?

• cristo8
  • cristo8's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

cristo8 created the topic: will Oscar fish lips will grow back?

my new small 3" oscar was temporarily put into my 55G tank with my larger 6" oscar and there was a bit of bullying. There were loads of hiding places he took cover in but there was a bit of lip locking and now the small Oscar has part of his Top lip missing and I can see his mini teeth. The larger Oscar has fortunately been found a new suitable home now at my local fish shop to avoid more damage with my new O.

My question is: "Will his lip grow back properly and if so how quickly"? It is a stunning looking Oscar thats why I bought him but now he's damaged I'm worried for his physical appearance and health. He still eats his pellets fine though. Please help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: will Oscar fish lips will grow back?

Could you possibly take a photo for us to see? If a lot of the lip has been taken away then you may find that it won't all grow back. However, I would think that the fish will be able to cope perfectly okay, fish are very adaptable to these kind of things. The one thing that you want to try and avoid at the moment is having any infection set in to the wound. So it's very important that you keep the water in good condition.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• cristo8
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

cristo8 replied the topic: will Oscar fish lips will grow back?

Hi, well imagine Half of your own Upper Lip was bitten off to reveal some of your own teeth, thats exactly how it looks on my oscar. I can't take a photo camera it's not accurate enough.

If they're cichlids they must lose lips all the time battling and lip-locking? But I need an expert's opinion not just a guess or assumption. Thanks please forward an expert to answer.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

I have been keeping both Oscars and tropical fish for many years now. I've seen all sorts of injuries, both minor and quite severe. Most of the time injuries do heal well. However, I'm just giving you my opinion on your situation. Nobody, not even an expert is going to be able to tell you 100% what is going to happen to your fish. You've asked a very general question, you haven't even provided a photograph which would have helped us a lot. We can only answer people's questions based on the information we are given. Finally I certainly do not appreciate your attitude, if you want people to help you then I would advise you not to be so rude in the future

The following user(s) said Thank You: Poseidon2.0

• cristo8
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Hi please don't take the way it was written offensive in any way, sorry. I was just a bit crossed that my oscar was roughed up and looks tatty rather than the beautiful specimen that I first purchased.

I just needed a definitive quick answer from someone who is experienced to Oscar fighting, since it is so common among them.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

Fair enough. Honestly, it's really not easy to say whether your Oscar will look completely normal after everything has healed. I do a lot of fishing for carp and quite often you catch fish with horribly deformed mouths because they have been damaged by constant hooking, or people ripping the hooks out and not being careful. So if the cartilage in the mouth has been damaged then there may be a little bit of permanent damage to the mouth. However, you may find that the soft tissue will grow back and look completely normal. I had a red Oscar about two or three years ago that swam into a piece of wood and took a massive chunk of flesh out of its head. You would have thought that it would have ended up with a horrible scar. However, you can hardly see anything after a few weeks, it really did heal up incredibly well

• cristo8
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Ok, but I'm sure there will be more answers from people who know directly from the same experience if it will ever heal back?

anyway just out of interest could oscars take a finger off with their teeth and power or is it impossible? has there been any reported incidents.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: will Oscar fish lips will grow back?

oscars do not have the power nor the required teethed to remove a person's finger.

without a picture to see the injury no one can determine if the lips will grow back.

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: will Oscar fish lips will grow back?

actually, one of my lutino had same incident wherein the upper right lip was detached... yes, the inner part was shown off... after a week, the wound was healed and after a few months, it has grown and regenerate the upper right lip although it was visible to be thinner than the left side..

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.135 seconds