Oscar hasn't eaten for 2 weeks

• Chilli
  • Chilli's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Chilli created the topic: Oscar hasn't eaten for 2 weeks

Hi guys I've had my Oscar for around 9 months now his around 15cm, in a 125 gallon no tank mates
He hasn't been eating properly for around 2 weeks now, was able to feed him 1 live cricket a week ago and hasn't touched anything since. I've Tryed pellets, frozen cichlid food, live crickets, mealworms, and live garden worms and he hasn't touched anything tonight I caught some live river prawns hoping he would go nuts for them but just watches them swim around his tank, can someone please help me on what's going on with my Oscar, his got a few small Scratches on him but It's from his gravel he darts around quickly from time to time.
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate below 5ppm
Besides the couple of scrapes on him there doesn't seem to be any sign of disease

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Oscar hasn't eaten for 2 weeks

Okay, water quality is good, plenty of room so all good there. How is the Oscar behaving in itself? Is it swimming around normally? How about its breathing, does it appear to be breathing heavily, i.e. opening and closing its mouth constantly? Have you been feeding (trying to) every day? Have you tried laying off just for one day and then trying again to see what the Oscar does?

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: Oscar hasn't eaten for 2 weeks

can you post a short video of his/her..
perhaps we can find something ...

• Chilli
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Chilli replied the topic: Oscar hasn't eaten for 2 weeks

His behaving quite normal swimming up and down the tank, mostly hovering and gently cruising though, no change in breathing he seems to be fine, I went away for the weekend and didn't feed for 2 days came home and still won't eat, I will make a video today and post, I use prime when water changing.
Very strange but I was talking to my mum and she had jellyfish 2 years ago only had them for a couple of months and they died from refusing to eat. Could there be something in my water that prime isn't getting ?

• Chilli
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

here's a quick vid of him

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: Oscar hasn't eaten for 2 weeks

are you sure it doesn't take any food for 2 weeks?
the white membrane on it fins and tail means he/she is growing...
the fish is not gasping for air.... and still look healthy...

any idea what temp is the tank water?

• Chilli
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

He definetly hasn't eaten for 10 days I was able to feed him 1 cricket but even a few days before that he wasn't really eating, I just came home and Tryed to feed him a pellet he looked all excited and came up to grab one but just pushed it away instead of eating it really struggling on what's going on with him water temp is 26 degrees
Everything I've read sais I should be able to see some signs of a disease if he had one, going off my video do you guys reckon he is just having a mood swing and won't eat, I found an old post that someone recomended ultrabite I don't wanna mask a disease of he has one but I'm really starting to think he doesn't his trying to bite my hand when I vaccum
The tank, would a sick Oscar have this much energy ?

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Oscar hasn't eaten for 2 weeks

What size are the pellets? If they are bigger than 3mm (Hikari mini pellets are just under 3mm), then that is the issue for it not eating pellets. Their mouths are much bigger than their throats.

Can you get Tetra Parasite Guard? If so, try that for maximum treatment days listed in the instructions.

• Chilli
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

The pellets are the hikari mini pellets, I'll try my lfs for the Tetra parasite gaurd today

He took the tiniest nip at a pee today but still not eating

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Oscar hasn't eaten for 2 weeks

As Paul says, the fish doesn't appear to be breathing heavily which is always a sign of problems. To be honest with you I am at a bit of a loss. Has the fish produced any poo that looks abnormal, i.e. white stringy?

Have you got any substrate or ornaments in the aquarium? Have you tried putting some in, maybe some rocks and wood for the Oscar to swim around? I have no idea whether this would make a difference, but a change in its environment may help. Alternatively, have you tried feeding live food such as crickets? I wouldn't suggest live fish though.

As suggested you could try some medications, but it's basically just going to be shooting in the dark and hoping that you hit the target because without extensive tests it's very difficult to say what exactly is wrong.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.106 seconds