Oscar hasn't eaten for 2 weeks

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Oscar hasn't eaten for 2 weeks

Last year(longer?) I had a female adult go 5 weeks without touching one spec of food. No sign of problems, but I did isolate her in a 55g. I epsom salted the water for a week, then a round of API General Cure. Not noticing any change, better or worse, I returned her to her home tank(180g) with her male partner. Within a few days she laid a huge batch of eggs. Appetite returned right away. Still have her, age about 4 now, doing fine. I also have a very picky large male Jaguar, who once went 16days without food. He still to this day goes on occasion 4-5 days without. Just the way he is, he eats when he's hungry.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!
The following user(s) said Thank You: mack2801

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Chilli
  • Chilli's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Chilli replied the topic: Oscar hasn't eaten for 2 weeks

Thanks for all the replies guys, means a lot, I have black gravel in there and a small peice of driftwood with a plant attached I just bought a massive peice of driftwood to put in there, no stringy white poo, he hasn't really been pooing but I remember when he did and it wasn't white, I'm really not seeing a sick fish, my water has Never had bad levels ammonia and nitrite have always remained 0
He jumps every night out of he water but isn't hitting the top of the tank anymore, I found an old post that someone recomended ultrabite to put on his food I don't wanna mask a parasite if there is one, but I'm really starting to think is alright

• Chilli
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

does anyone think that the marks below his mouth could be something ? I thought it was from the gravel

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: Oscar hasn't eaten for 2 weeks

nah... that pimple under the chin is normal in most oscars...

• Chilli
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Thanks Draco, so I went to the lfs told them what's going on and he believes something is in my water because I described that he has been flashing a little, his given me bio tet from aquasonic, and some salt waiting 3 days then do a water change, really hoping he will be ok. I have sourced some metro if I need it but hoping I won't, I'll keep you guys posted on his condition thanks for all the help

• Chilli
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

UPDATE
Hi guys good news !!
It's been a couple more weeks and he hadn't shown any improvement but today he has finally eaten, his eaten a couple of pellets and a mealworm, I don't think the bio tet treatment really did much but make my tank very yellow, I even Tryed metro after talking to my lfs recommending it as its close to a month with no food and signs of flashing.
All in all I have come to the conclusion that he simply went off his food I'd like to thank everyone for there help and comments I hope this is the beginning of him being his old self

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Oscar hasn't eaten for 2 weeks

Great to hear that your Oscar is eating again. This is the big problem with when they do this, nobody really knows why it happens, believe me it happens to nearly everybody who owns an Oscar. Keep us posted on his progress, is always good to get information for future reference other people are looking for the same advice and help with their Oscar that may be doing the same thing.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.118 seconds