Disease ID needed

• James Holt
  • James Holt's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

James Holt created the topic: Disease ID needed

Currently treating like finrot with melafix and antibiotics..

The pics are of two different fish.. The one on the bottom(Moe) was in a seperate tank until a seam popped open on it,, waiting on another tank to be delivered..
The one on the top(Mork) was in a 125 and was a picture of health untill I had to pu the other one in, the tank is divided and they cant really see each other clearly..
I got Moe from someone that wanted him gone, they were tired of taking care of him, his tank was a mess..

Anyone have any suggestions or should I just continue the treatments like it is finrot...........

John Adams: "In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Disease ID needed

Sounds as if the fish is has being kept in less than perfect conditions, these things often happen after the fish has been exposed to poor water conditions.

It's important that the water is in very good condition, especially if you are trying to cure the fish from a disease or illness. If the water is injured condition you are basically fighting an uphill battle because of medication probably won't be very effective. So if you are getting a new tank that I would suggest you try and use some old media from your existing filter, or maybe you had the insight to put your old filter on the existing tank.

At the moment, I should just continue doing what you're doing and medicate tank for the recommended period of time. Then you can see if things are working. If they're not, then it's time to start testing the water and maybe try again.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• James Holt
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

James Holt replied the topic: Disease ID needed

So you are thinking the fish I got has infected my exsisting system..?
I will continue to treat like it is finrot, with melafix and antibiotics...
I am guessing following those treatments up with an ich treatment just to be sure..

I use a fluidized filter with K1 media, I will be adding more media to it to seed the new tanks filter when it gets here..

Hopefully between the new oscar now having a clean tank and running through the medications he will pull through...

Thanks for your comments OFL

John Adams: "In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress."

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: Disease ID needed

James Holt wrote:

Currently treating like finrot with melafix and antibiotics..

The pics are of two different fish.. The one on the bottom(Moe) was in a seperate tank until a seam popped open on it,, waiting on another tank to be delivered..
The one on the top(Mork) was in a 125 and was a picture of health untill I had to pu the other one in, the tank is divided and they cant really see each other clearly..
I got Moe from someone that wanted him gone, they were tired of taking care of him, his tank was a mess..

Anyone have any suggestions or should I just continue the treatments like it is finrot...........

at some point, this thing also appear in my community tank...all i did was "water change, increase temp, and minimal feeding" for the meantime... normally, this happen when water temp fluctuate abruptly

• James Holt
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Update:: over the last few days the second oscar quit eating and took a turn for the worse.. He had large sections of scales falling off of him and was completely covered in a white fungus.. My wife and I decided to euthanize him this morning so he wouldn't suffer any more.. He was just sicker than we thought when we got him last month...
To try and save the Oscar we have had for several years we did a 100% water change on the tank and are going to be doing 50% changes daily, still using the melafix. ..
This oscar is still eating well and is still very active..

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Disease ID needed

You don't need to use melafix. Just keep the water clean.

• James Holt
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Well Mork is getting better the rot is not showing any more and he is zipping around his tank doing barrel rolls again...
Just wish I could have saved the other one..

• James Holt
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Woke up this morning to find my other Oscar dead, he had a large gash on his head and the light fixture was knocked down behind the tank...
I guess something flew over the tank in the night and he went for it....

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: Disease ID needed

ouch! sorry to hear that....

nevertheless, keep the system running ... and you can get a new one!

• Thank you received: 8

Vinny replied the topic: Re:Disease ID needed

Don't wait too long to add something new if the tanks empty

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.118 seconds