Injury or something else?

• anthmcm
  • anthmcm's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

anthmcm created the topic: Injury or something else?

Hi,

Hoping someone maybe able to help me with an issue we have with Tumble our Albino Tiger Oscar.

Long story short he managed to give him self a nasty gash on the side of his head / eye just over two months ago. I assume he hit some driftwood or something as it appeared over night and he has been known to randomly attack the bits of wood in the tank before.

I was assuming it would leave a scar / indent mark after it heals but it doesn't appear to be healing very well at all. The depth of the gash behind his eye certainly seems much better but the over all size / diameter of the injury looks to be getting bigger and is going across his head so now i am starting to think what started as an injury may now have developed into something else.

He seems happy in himself, still eating plenty and coming to the glass when you pay him attention etc

any ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Injury or something else?

Upload a picture to photobucket, and post the IMG link. Without a picture, it will be difficult to provide any information as to what is happening with the gash.

• anthmcm
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

anthmcm replied the topic: Injury or something else?

there should be a picture showing - its there for me - if not direct link i here:

postimg.org/image/llwb1ibwt/

http://postimg.org/image/llwb1ibwt/

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: Injury or something else?

With clean water that should have completely healed. Fish also shows other cratering in the forehead area. Hole in the head. Caused primarily from poor water quality. What have you been doing as a regular water change schedule? Do you test water parameters? Tank size, other fish?

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• anthmcm
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Thanks for the response,

re water changes I generally do a 25% change every 10 to 14 days, interestingly a few weeks after this injury I did have issues with the water quality I had a large spike in the Nitrates, I am still not 100% sure why as I hadn't changed or done anything different. That being said it did take a couple of weeks of frequent water changes to bring the nitrates down. I also introduced frog bit to the tank as a secondary measure to help consume some of the nitrates in the water.

water perimeter checks as of a couple of days ago:

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 50 (have done additional water changes again over the last few days to try and pull this down)
PH 7.2

Tank is a 300 litre running a fluval U4 internal filter and a large filter thats in the hood of the tank, media is sponge, cotton, ceramic rings and bio balls.

4 tank mates, a Pleco, firemouth, silver dollar and an angel fish.

I did initially suspect HITH due to the nitrate issues but whenever I see pictures on line of HITH it always seems to be lots of small holes not one big creator

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: Injury or something else?

As suspected, water quality is the issue. Your water changes should be at MINIMUM once a week and 75% or more volume. Thats if you had Oscar only in the tank. Your tank is really only suitable for 1 Oscar alone, and thats still the minimum recommendation. Combine overstock with insufficient water changes and you have the condition your Oscar is in. You need less fish or a tank of 180+gals. For now, to get your Oscar on the road to recovery, drive the nitrate down to 10 and keep it there. This will probably require daily water changes. Do 50% every 2 days as to not shock the fish. By next week do daily. Then address the overstock. You cannot maintain a healthy environment with that many fish in that tank

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Thank you received: 8

Vinny replied the topic: Re:Injury or something else?

Water changes are more important than feeding your fish

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Thank you received: 254

DRACO replied the topic: Injury or something else?

the scar seems to be just align with the muscle boulder line...
your fish is fine... how about the breathing?

• anthmcm
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Thanks for your help, I have moved the tank mates with the exception of the plec into my hospital tank so I can concentrate on stabilising the nitrate levels.

Breathing is fine you wouldn't think there was anything wrong with him if not for the mark on his head, he is behaving as normal.

will keep you updated with his progress

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.138 seconds