Another sulking Oscar

• Fengoat
  • Fengoat's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Fengoat created the topic: Another sulking Oscar

So with my tank cycled, I've recently acquired a baby Oscar--not even two inches. The first five days he was in the tank, he was perfectly happy, eating his pellets, making a mess with his poo, all that sort of thing and otherwise acting like the king of his 75 gallon tank.

However, starting last night, he began to sulk--disinterested in food and in my approach to the tank. A complete 180 from the behavior he had shown the past few days--and that was through a 40% water change days prior too.

I immediately checked params, found PH at 7, 0 Ammonia/Nitrite, barely any trace of Nitrate (The water change was two days ago). Temperature has remained steady at 79-80F and otherwise, I've kept things in check.

It began when I noticed he was hovering near the heater and the filter intake for one of my canisters. The guy was swimming up to the filter intake letting the suction hold him up in the tank. Perfectly able to move out of it, swim, whatever. For that reason, I wanted to make sure he was OK. Next to him was the sensor to the thermometer. I moved that slightly--he immediately flipped out. Then went back into this lethargic state, flopping onto the sandbed on one side and looking disinterested at everything.

...of course, when I turned my back, he would move from one side of the tank to the other, only to continue the behavior when I went to look.

So I gave him his peace for the night, but even this morning he's about the same sulking behavior. I'd imagine it's only a matter of time before his hunger gets the better of him and he snaps out of this change in demeanor, but I wasn't sure if it could be anything else. I noticed this morning where he was laying when I tried to make sure he was OK with a chopstick, he immediately bolted, causing the accumulated poo over night to disperse--all of that same pinkish color. So it's clear he isn't constipated or completely out of it. But then he sunk right back down against the piece of drift onto the sandbed again.

I'm not seeing any white stringy poos or anything of the sort, but his sudden disinterest in food is concerning. Especially since most cichlids aren't {not} hungry.

Any ideas when a baby oscar will snap out of a daze like this? I'd imagine this can't last for more than 24 hours before he gets hungry again.

Either way, if this is just him throwing a fit, his name is going to be Mercury, because he has been being a damn QUEEN over a thermometer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 581

Suprd71 replied the topic: Another sulking Oscar

Seems to be no issue with tank or water. Have you tried dif foods? A healthy Oscar wont purposely starve itself, but certainly can be a stubborn cuss. Is tank light kept to a minimum? Too long on, or too bright can irritate the fish, drive them to the bottom.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Fengoat
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Fengoat replied the topic: Another sulking Oscar

Well, I moved my hand on the glass near where he was loafing, he sprang back up to the surface and just hovered there for a while. I dropped a pellet in (hikari gold, if you were curious), didn't even touch it. Curious, I turned the lights off. And then he went for the pellet to chew on it for a good five minutes as he crunched it down. Still loafing but eating.

I left for the grocery, came back, and now he's back on the bottom in his little pot, doing the lean slightly while on the sand thing that Oscars are said to do.

I think I'm being taken for a ride.

LOL, enjoy the ride. Perhaps the lighting is too much. Oscars prefer dim at best, and have excellent night vision.

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: Another sulking Oscar

you may try to cover the tank with a blanket or towel allowing the fish to see nothing around... it may help it to establish the comfort zone.. just remove the cover after 2 or 3 days.

• Fengoat
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Fengoat replied the topic: Another sulking Oscar

All yesterday he was lazily floating near the top of the tank at points, then in his pot the next, then resting up against the filter giving slow breaths and everything else. I actually thought he was going to die.

This morning, he springs to life when the lights come on and does his "I want food" dance.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

All common Oscar behavior. Part of what makes them an interesting wet pet.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.126 seconds