Sick Oscar with holes in jaw

• khager
  • khager's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

khager created the topic: Sick Oscar with holes in jaw

Hey guys, first time poster here. I've got an Oscar that we've been trying to treat for a little over a year now, and nothing is making him better. Hoping maybe you guys will have some insight. He's in a 55g tank by himself, and has been fighting this issue since we got him. He had one little nick on his head, which we figured was from being in a tank with 20 other oscars and thought it would heal.

We've given him KanaPlex, Neoplex, Polyguard and Paraguard in 2 week cycles each. When he was tiny he was in a 10g and we treated the tank. Once we moved him into the 55g a few months ago we switched to adding it to food. He has the holes up to the middle of his bottom lip, they stop almost right at the half way. He has, from what I can tell, no other signs that anything is wrong. I decided to come and ask for help because for the last 3 days he's completely ignored me. He'll still beg for attention/food from my husband, but his usual enthusiasm for me (the person who feeds him 99% of the time) has become nil. He ignores the medicated food, but will eat shrimp pellets. I'm not sure if he's pouting or if whatever is wrong with him is getting worse, so any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Here's some pictures of him, he does not understand the difference between cameras and food time unfortunately. edit: hubby was cleaning up his poops and I actually managed to get a picture of his full jaw, added it

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Sick Oscar with holes in jaw

Hello and welcome. First need to know would be water parameters. Iffy water quality would render meds useless and Ph also plays a role in what is effective and what is not. What is tank Ph, and what are readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? What has been the regular water change sched, frequency and volume for the fish?

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• khager
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

khager replied the topic: Sick Oscar with holes in jaw

I knew I was forgetting something.

PH: 7.6
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10ppm

40% water changes every 7-10 days

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: Sick Oscar with holes in jaw

your water params are perfect....

are you referring to the hole at the leftside cheek?
near the gill plate?

i.imgur.com/CqfPVYL.jpg

• khager
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Yes, in the first picture you can see the line of holes that goes all the way up his jaw line. They don't seem to be getting worse but they're not getting better either. And strangely they are only on the one side.

that was exactly what i saw... if the fish is not breathing hard and eat normally..
i wouldn't worry much... one of my oscar had a big mole under the lower chin, not on the lip
as oscar used to have... i am not worried at all

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Sick Oscar with holes in jaw

To improve overall fish and aquarium health, increase water change volume and frequency. 75% every 5-7 days.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• khager
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Does this condition have a name? I've read that with HITH once the spots stop getting larger you've fixed it, but it can take months to heal. Could this be the same kind of thing? We've just not given it long enough to heal over?

not sure but it really makes me wonder too... HITH normally will have whitish area of wounds... but your fish have clean holes... no red nor whitish wound surface...

have you tried salt solution immersion? put water to a bucket, add rock salt (1:5 ratio)
and put the fish in there for 10 minutes... do this daily to see if the wound will change

• khager
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

1:5 ratio being gallon to what?

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.112 seconds