Just moved my tank outside.....now lutino oscar turning black!

• bongaloman001
  • bongaloman001's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

bongaloman001 created the topic: Just moved my tank outside.....now lutino oscar turning black!

Hey everyone. So I decided to move my 55 gallon tank outside to be safe in case the tank breaks or whatever.

I moved my tank outside one week ago.

The tank gets hit with full sunlight from 2pm-7pm but I've been putting a piece of plywood over the entire tank during that time so there's probably only 10% of the sunlight getting through hitting the lids and sides daily.

I just noticed today that my oscar has been turning black around its nose, pectoral fins, pelvic fins, and the top portion of its tail. It's never darkened like this while i had my tank indoors.

It's about 5 years old, maybe 8-10", was a rescue from a pet shop who treated it badly. I do weekly water changes roughly 90% each time so I doubt the water parameters are off.

I had my tank setup indoors for 4 years now and it was never in direct sunlight, thus my oscar never turned blackish.

Do you guys think that maybe the sunlight is the culprit?

The sunlight gets through the bottom of the tank, and the top/side of the tank but it's not strong enough to change the water temp.

He seems happier with his new environment....I hope. He isn't sulking anymore and just watches the trees and stuff in the backyard.

Anyway, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I want to add pictures to this post but I don't know how, if someone can tell me then I'll post some pics.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 254

DRACO replied the topic: Just moved my tank outside.....now lutino oscar turning black!

welcome on board to the community.

yes, the full spectrum of sunlight does affect the color of the fish.
it makes them more intense and vibrant.. most of my tanks are also under the sunlight
and most of my fish become darker or more intense in color.

posting picture, just create an account with photobucket... it is free..
just copy paste the link and its done... more over, you can keep the files in there
for any furture use.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bongaloman001

• bongaloman001
  • bongaloman001's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

bongaloman001 replied the topic: Just moved my tank outside.....now lutino oscar turning black!

Thanks Draco. After thinking about it,, I'm not so worried about the sun hitting the tank anymore.

He's not getting any darker, his fins are just accented with a shade of gray/black which looks okay to me.

I am getting a pretty bad diatom problem though. I'm sure it's because of the indirect sunlight. I've just been cleaning the glass and continuing with water changes, hope it goes away soon.

Also, it seems he hasn't eaten yet....it's been a couple weeks and I never see him eat the pellets I drop in...

I tried frozen shrimp, dried shrimp, pellets, a different brand of pellets...he just looks at the food and swims away.

He still acts like he's hungry but he never eats anything I drop in...don't know what to do about it...

Anyway, here's a picture of my setup outside. At least the pothos are getting real sunlight now rather than the grow bulb I had when it was indoors.

• Thank you received: 254

DRACO replied the topic: Just moved my tank outside.....now lutino oscar turning black!

your photo is not showing...

well, direct sunlight normally make the fish change their color...and i believe that is their true color...

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.182 seconds