ICH! Community Tank with Clown Loaches

• Big_Chubbz
  • Big_Chubbz's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

Big_Chubbz created the topic: ICH! Community Tank with Clown Loaches

I'm afraid that this is Ich.

I've read that CL are sensitive to most treatments and that quinine is a miracle drug. Is this true? If so where can I buy it and how much should I dose?

I cycled this tank before introducing ANY fish. Current water parameters are 0-0-10. Temp is 77. pH 7.7 (at least 7.6 but not 7.8 according to API test kit). 65gallons.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Big_Chubbz
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Big_Chubbz replied the topic: ICH! Community Tank with Clown Loaches

I found this stuff:

Quinine Sulfate
USE: Resistant strains of Ich (especially on scaleless fish). Protozoans, sliminess of the skin and Rams disease (whirling disease). Also good for resistant strains of Hexamita when combined with Metronidazole.

DOSAGE : 1/4 teaspoon per 10 gallons of water. Treat one time and leave in the water for 5-7 days.

For resistant Ich in a central system, treat once every three days with a 25% water change before each treatment. Do at least 3 treatments = 9 day period.

Does anyone have experience with this, or know a good (cheap) supplier?

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: ICH! Community Tank with Clown Loaches

loach is very sensitive to medication...
pristine water is the first approached...
and temperature should be bet 28 to 30 degC

• Big_Chubbz
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

I elevated the temperature to 86 for 10 days. All the loaches died, but the rest of the stock survived. No signs of ich on any of the survivors.

I just reintroduced 5 new clown loaches today. I'll post back with any developments.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: ICH! Community Tank with Clown Loaches

Clown loaches are sensitive to certain medications, but not antibiotics. Never use fish antibiotics below the manufacturer's dosage as this will create bacteria resistance to it.

For future reference, at 86F, all that means is the ich can't reproduce and can make a comeback. To kill ich, you need a temperature 90F.

edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fa006

Clown loaches, while scaleless are salt tolerant. You can add the total dosage over the span of 72 hours.

www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/ich.php

Most medications use victoria green (malachite green) or copper. It is these medications that clown loaches have difficulty with, and should be used at half the dosage.

• Big_Chubbz
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

I also read that a temp of 86 only stops reproduction. That is why I left it at that temp for 10 days. No surviving Ich could reproduce, and the rest would complete their life cycle and die over the ten day period.

The five new guys are doing well. No sign of Ich on any of the stock as of now, but I'll keep you posted. For reference, here is the article that I used to treat my tank.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds