New paranoid oscar owner???

• jwhorner6
  • jwhorner6's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

jwhorner6 created the topic: New paranoid oscar owner???

New to the forum and new to oscars. Not sure if i'm just being paranoid or should be concerned.

I have a well established 125 gallon aquarium that use to house a flowerhorn. I got tired of only have one fish in the tank because of its aggression so I found a home for the flowerhorn and went and bought 2 oscars about 3 days ago.

My ammonia is 0, Nitrites 0, and nitrates are 10ppm. Temp is 80f. The smaller oscar is a tiger oscar and is probably about 4 inches. He is eating like a horse. I'm feeding frozen krill, floating hikari cichlid bio gold and frozen blood worms. He scarfs up all of it.

The larger oscar is a red oscar and is about 6 inches. He has not shown any interest in food what so ever. Occaisionally he swims around but mostly just lays on the bottom of the tank. There is no aggression from the smaller oscar. When I feed I will make sure to drop some right in front of him and he doesn't even move. Shows no interest at all.

Is this normal behavior or should I be concerned?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: New paranoid oscar owner???

yes... that is normal... bigger oscar sulk more that the small one...
anyway... that is also good so that the small one could catch up
in size with the bigger one... some people cover the tank with towel
to make them isolated isolated and make fast adjust to the new environment..

welcome to the community

• jwhorner6
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

jwhorner6 replied the topic: New paranoid oscar owner???

Thank you. That makes sense, I was worried because the smaller one is chowing down so figured the larger one should be too. But if bigger ones pout more than that makes sense.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: New paranoid oscar owner???

Hello and welcome to OFL. Fish could also be experiencing a bit of regulation problem. A variance between where he came from and your tank. Or could be doing the Oscar pout. Very common. If you are worried in the next short while, come on back and perhaps we can pinpoint something else.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• jwhorner6
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Will do. These guys must really have a strong will to pout. I tried some frozen blood worms at lunch and he didn't even think about going for them. First time I have ever seen a fish turn down blood worms. I guess I need to just calm down. I'm just ready for the puppy i've heard so much about oscars being lol.

At 6ins, the Oscar could easily not eat a single crumb for several weeks and show no ill effects. Thats kinda rare, but they can go no food for absurd amounts of time. You may also find that they show no interest in tiny offerings, not worth the effort to go after. Try pellets daily, but also try not to overfeed the guy thats eating. Difficult, I realize.

• jwhorner6
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

okay, I actually just ordered some massivore delite off amazon. Should arrive friday. I'm going to try that as well. Although at their size, I may have to break the massivore in half.

They should like Massivore, but be aware that this is a high protein food made for carnivorous fish. Should be only a very small portion of Oscars diet. Like a weekly treat. Its not a good food to use as a staple. Oscar, as any omnivorous cichlid, needs a significant amount of veg content in the diet. If you have access to Northfin foods, I highly recommend their line. They make a kelp pellet, its 14mm more designed for plecos and bottom feeders, but crumbles easily and is an excellent portion of Oscars diet. If you can get live, clean earthworms, fish should welcome that as well. A varied diet is best, but keep the high protein offerings as treats. Given your current situation, I would offer only staple pellets until they accept those as the main meal.

• jwhorner6
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Okay. Is hikari cichlid bio gold a good staple? I usually like NLS but none of their stuff seems large enough for oscars.

Hikari biogold is very good. Dont think that because Oscar has a big trap that it needs big pellets. Mouth is far bigger than the throat. Do you hear a grinding sound when Oscar is eating? Thats the mill in his throat, crunching up food so he can swallow it. If Oscar is spewing crumbs out the gills, pellets are too big. Wasting food and fouling the water at the same time. Hikari medium size will suffice until the fish is adult and 10+ inches. I have cichlids well over a foot long, Oscars included that still eat medium sized pellets. NLS is also a premium food. Try the Algaemax for the veg content I previously mentioned. Northfin is the food of choice for all my fish. Its made very close to my home, easy to get and by all accounts and recommendations there is nothing better. Limited access outside Canada may be a problem for some. If you can get it for a comparable price, I urge you to put your fish onto it.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.146 seconds