hole in the head?

• windowsdiva1
  • windowsdiva1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

windowsdiva1 created the topic: hole in the head?

i have a 6 year old tiger oscar. His name is Lokie. I think he has hole in the head. I ordered this medication online cause its hard to find. its called octozin. It helped him before. i keep changing water. I have a fluval 306 filter and a 55 gallon tank. I removed all plants and anything else in tank. there is just stones, little ones. Anyway, i took a pic. i just gave him another dose of the medicine. removed carbon from filter. i dont know if its helping.

plesae advise. i try to keep the tank as clean as i can. i do a 50% change weekly. :( . also how do i attach a photo?

Thank you

Windows Diva

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: hole in the head?

without the picture... i is difficult to evaluate what are you dealing with...
please create an account with photobucket...it is free... and you can keep your file for life..
50% water weekly is no use for use... we need to know the water parameters...
6 years old oscar can be considered a good job... perhaps something just went wrong...
are you sure it is HITH? hith can not happen overnight... it will take time to develop...

btw... welcome to the community.

• windowsdiva1
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

windowsdiva1 replied the topic: hole in the head?

• windowsdiva1
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

thank you. i created photobucket and uploaded a pic of my lokie! Love my fish and he has been with me for quite some time. We moved 3 times and i always made sure i took care of him. I dont want him to be sick!!! let me know if the linnk works

thanks again!

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: hole in the head?

windowsdiva1 wrote:

whoa... indeed..Lokie has HITH.. more water issue... you need to do large water change for the next few weeks...
it looks like he had it in several ocassion... Lokie is a real fighter...

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: hole in the head?

50% w/c daily for a week. 75% 3x weekly after that. Adult Oscar in a too small tank needs an almost constant flow of clean water. Hith will come back easily on fish that have had it before. With a tank of 90-100gals you could maintain with a twice weekly change of 50-75% . I also see you removed the carbon from your filter, leading me to believe it was a regular component of the filter. Not good, carbon is a contributor to hith. Do not replace, add more bio media instead.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• windowsdiva1
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

oh see... wow ok i will change it 80%? how often? weekly?

• windowsdiva1
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

es Lokie is a fighter he is just like me! I will do a water change starting now and follow your instructions. should i remove the stones in bottom of tank? also, i will buy a new filter, can you recommend one for me?

Thank you so much for your help!

I love my fish!!

WD

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: hole in the head?

No need to remove the stones. One thing though, very important in unison with water changes is a thorough substrate vac. Pull all the waste and solids out of there. Do you have a Python water changer? A must for tanks holding big messy cichlids. As for filter, I recommend getting an Aquaclear 110 hob to assist your canister. The AC will give much needed mechanical support to the 306, which is more intended as a bio filter. Use both at all times. Also if you can, try for a bigger tank. Managing water quality in 55g is very difficult, even more so trying to heal an ailing fish. We havent discussed feeding, but a fish of that age and size needs only eat 3-4x a week at most. More food=more waste=quicker decay of water quality. Until he starts a turnaround in health I would only feed twice a week. He will easily sustain on that, no health risks at all.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.126 seconds