White spots continued!

• AaronT8156
  • AaronT8156's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

AaronT8156 created the topic: White spots continued!

So i posted before about a fish i had with white spots and it passed away sadly. I went and took this fish back to wal-mart cause thats where i bought it and they replaced it. Now the new fish has been home for several days and it has also developed white spots and has a film over one eye which im certain it cannot see out of. When I brought this fish home i did a complete water tank change on the tank and i put a new filter in the Aqua Tech filter. The first oscar i bought is in this tank also and it is Still healthy as can be and Exhibits absolutely no signs of illness and hasnt got any spots and never has. I also purchased and have used according to the instructions a bottle of Tetra Safestart Healthy Filter bacteria. Says removes Ammonia and Nitrite from the water add 2 tea spoons for every ten Gallons of water which i did. Both fish have good appetites but the new fish again has developed these white spots. Tank Temp is 76-80 F as the heater kicks on when it drops below 76 and boosts it back to 80. My question is why is the one fish sick just like before and the original oscar i bought is fine and has never been sick yet???? What can i change to make both fish healthy?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: White spots continued!

You still have ich in your tank, substrate, water changer, in the gills of the original oscar, where it cannot be seen, etc. They have a life cycle that can last a couple of weeks when temp is around the 70s. The original oscar's immune system is keeping the ich from really taking over its body.

You need to test the ammonia and nitrite levels of the tank with a liquid test. It should read 0ppm if the tank is properly cycled. Cloudy eyes are a symptom of a not fully cycled tank. Fix the water first before you start treating for ich. Keep the temperature at 87F so that the ich cannot replicate. You need to gravel vacuum the bottom thoroughly.

• AaronT8156
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

AaronT8156 replied the topic: White spots continued!

i did a full tank change today and treated water again one fish is still progressively getting worse and the other remains completely healthy. I am really beginning to think that the filter is bad is that possible? Its an Aquatech and its brand new just bought it from wal-mart and i have only had it 3 weeks now!

• AaronT8156
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

I took filter appart and cleaned it and all the decorations and sift cleaned all the gravel with hot water. I dont know what else to do at this point for the one fish.

• AaronT8156
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

www.facebook.com/aaron.theissen These are the pictures of my two fish one is Beautiful and healthy and the other is Puny and sick =(

• Thank you received: 4

Shaun70 replied the topic: White spots continued!

If it were mine, i'd be taking out the good fish and get it into a tank that is working. Sounds like your tank is not cycled, get an API test kit and post some water parameters. If you are not testing for the nitrogen cycle and PH you are flying blind, no medicine will fix your problem.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: White spots continued!

Hot water will not kill the ich that the healthy fish is carrying. Keep the tank temperature at 82f and get the ich medication from Walmart. Follow the directions. You will have to do a water change everyday since the tank does not sound cycled. Redose the medication for the amount of new water you put back in and adding the medication 60 minutes after you use your water conditioner.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AaronT8156

• AaronT8156
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Ok all i love my little oscars(2" Currently) and they are having major issues in the little 30 Gallon tank i have taken all of your advice. Today i went out and bought a beautiful 55 Gallon tank with a nice oak wood stand with a good filter its filtering right, i have treated water with ich, ammonia treatment stuff, and i bought the API Test kit the litmus paper is light yellow which is what its suppose to be its reading 0 PPM Ammonia light green is 0.25-0.5 PPM and Above that reads Danger! that is Dark Green. My water is Ammonia free so im still clueless as to why the one oscar died! I also bought a new tiger today to keep my original one company and they seem to be happy in the new 55 Gallon tank and i plan on Upgrading it again in February to a 125 Gallon Tank! My Original Tiger is still gorgeous and healthy I'm still clueless as to why the second one died unless the filter on the other tank is not working properly which is my main suspect!
I'll Keep you guys updated on how they do in the new tank and Thank you all so much for all the help!!!

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.132 seconds