What is cycling the tank?

• vogey
  • vogey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

vogey created the topic: What is cycling the tank?

Started filling the 125gal tank tonight, I've read about cycling and fishless cycling, but none of it says what it is or how to do it, in my mind I assume it means running the filters threw the new tank water? (They talk about bacteria growth) I have the aqua tech filter going on my 55 gal has some sludge built up. My plan was to fill the tank 1/2 - 2/3 way then take the filters out of 55 gal and run it for 24hrs or so in new tank then take the water out of 55 gal and fill up the 125 the rest of the way and put the fish in. Is this a good plan? (And yes I will be getting 2 more aqua tech 60 gal (330 gph) for a total of three in the 125. On weds. Then I'll be building the stand for the 75 gal to put the koi and shubunkin in and repeating

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: What is cycling the tank?

oscarfishlover.com/members-articles/196-how-to-cycle-your-aquarium-filters

If your filter has already been cycled, and has had fish in the 55g for more than 3 months, the filter is cycled. You can put 100% new water in the 125g, and then put the filter on that. You need to add the fish within 24 hours or you will lose the cycle on the filters.

If not you should do a fishless cycle.
www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=5640

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 415

OFL replied the topic: What is cycling the tank?

I'm not quite sure how clearer you want me to be regarding cycling. Our article tells you exactly what cycling is and why you need to do it.

www.oscarfishlover.com/how-to-cycle-your-aquarium

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: vogey

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: What is cycling the tank?

Aquatech filters are decent quality, but not of sufficient capacity to filter a large cichlid tank. Not even 3 of them. Filter ratings dont apply. You need a canister filter that holds a good amount of bio media. If you can only do hobs, the absoloute minimum would be 3 Aquaclear 110's. That may run you upwards of $300, or the same price of a decent canister. Look into Eheim 2217 or API Filstar XPXL. Fluval FX6 is the optimal unit for your 125.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• vogey
  • vogey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

vogey replied the topic: What is cycling the tank?

I'm sorry ofl I'm new to this forum buis, I actually did find that page threw a Google search after I posted my question, if there is such a thing as a dumb a$$ question you can bet I'll be the one asking it! But that article did save my cycle as I realized I needed the fish in there so thank you for writing it. I'll do my best yo save the nonsense for other boards. Also does anyone recommend a site to build own canister filter? (I have 4 aquatech 60s I can run atm, had them from other tanks) or a place online to buy fluval fx6?. I built my stand with the thought of adding a 55 gal tank for sump underneath. While it will fit perfectly I don't know how I missed the fact that once put together it would be impossible to slide the 55gal tank in place SMH... Does the sump need to be 1 tank? I have 2 tall 30 gal tanks I can fit In there.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.121 seconds