Bottom of the tank dwellers....

• Doc
  • Doc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Doc created the topic: Bottom of the tank dwellers....

I am perplexed.

I have two (2) 3 inch oscars in a 55 gallon tank with two (2) 65 gallon HOB filters running full time. I have the correct temperature parameters (78* F). I've checked my PH at 7.3 , near perfect for an oscar, I've got consistent lighting times, thanks to a timer switch, and even a long bubble stone for continuing the moving water for the oxygen exchange to occur.

Nevertheless, my two gorgeous oscars, one semi-albino, the other a full blazed black and "lava stripes", refuse to move about the tank. I have given them a large pumice stone to have as a home, and they refuse to leave constantly laying on the bottom or on their side like something is wrong.

I quarantined each fish for four weeks in a 29 gallon a piece prior to introducing them into the larger 55 gallon together. (Don't worry, I have a 150 gallon that I plan to put them in BEFORE they out grow the 55, just taking my time enjoying them now).

They will only eat bottom sinking pellets, and refuse to come to the surface or move about.

What am I missing?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Bottom of the tank dwellers....

Hello and welcome to the site. Oscar problems are most often due to water quality issues. What do you do for water changes? Volume and frequency please.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Doc
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Doc replied the topic: Bottom of the tank dwellers....

I do 20-30% water changes usually every 6-8 days.

I use a solid stress coat/dechloinator each time measuring the amount as directed on the bottle and then 30 minutes later, I test my water to make sure all is ok.

I feel like I'm doing all the right things but they aren't looking happy.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Bottom of the tank dwellers....

Does their attitude change when the tank above the lights are off, and only the room light on?

What are the ammonia and nitrite readings using a liquid test?

• Doc
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

No attitude with light difference. I've got a 150 gallon at work similar with two 9" Oscars and they enjoy both day and night similarly, but not with my puppies at home.

Ammonia levels as of 11p are 0 ppm, Nitrites are 0 ppm and Nitrates are 12 ppm (I've read that anything under 40ppm is within normal limits).

This is still why I'm baffled.

• Doc
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

OK. So it seems that I must scare them.

They are moving about much when I am "around the corner and not in the room (i.e. they can't see me), but when I approach for food, they run to the bottom and back of the tank and stay, or hide in the pumice stone....

How do I fix this?

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Bottom of the tank dwellers....

just give them time to get used to you. Sit in the room for an hour a day. It could take months for them to get used to you being in the room.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.143 seconds