Stress coat vs Prime

• sammie
  • sammie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

sammie created the topic: Stress coat vs Prime

What do O keepers prefer?? I'm reading a lot of different stuff about this topic online. I have been using Prime, but also have a jug of Stress coat as well.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Stress coat vs Prime

I've never actually used stress coat before because I've always use prime as a water conditioner. I think stress coat is a little more basic as it only removes chlorine and chloramine, it says nothing in the instructions about neutralising toxins such as ammonia and nitrate. However, this is where prime is different, prime can be used to help stop fish getting poisoned from ammonia because it detoxifies the ammonia. That's about the only difference. The one thing I liked about Prime is how far one cap goes. I think one cap used to treat around 50 gallons of water which is good if you've got a big aquarium. The staff is not cheap so you want value for money

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: sammie

• Thank you received: 581

Suprd71 replied the topic: Stress coat vs Prime

Prime is the better product. More efficient is the powder form, called Safe. 1/4 tsp of Safe treats up to 300gals of water. Way more bang for your buck.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Thank you received: 1

slipshodman replied the topic: Stress coat vs Prime

I have to agree with the others

Prime is a fantastic product, i buy it by the litre and always double dose when doing water changes (running over 1000 ltrs worth of tanks at the moment )

Also as OFL mentioned it will detoxify Ammonia and Nitrate in emergencies, but if you are using for that purpose don't rely on the prime on its own, keep those water changes up to actually get fresh new water into your aquarium.

I personally have never used stress coat either and the only thing i really noticed the API site suggests is it has aloe vera in it to help against injury etc.
If my fish were injured i would be going for a product like tri sulfa to treat that directly not a 2 in 1.

Just my opinion

Cheers

• S.S.
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • "Failure is giving anything less than your best"
  • Thank you received: 15

S.S. replied the topic: Re:Stress coat vs Prime

I'm using prime for several years now and it is really worth the price. It may cost more than the same amount of others but it lasts way more due to the high concentration dosage.
For large cichlids and tanks with no real plants that have to get fertilization this is my number one choice but tanks with fertilization I wouldn't use it because it probably disables some of the fertilization nutrients.

"Tapatalking"

• sammie
  • sammie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

sammie replied the topic: Re:Stress coat vs Prime

Wow, I just looked online and safe is a tremendously better value than prime. Thanks for the advice. Appreciate it!!!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Skywalkstr95 replied the topic: Stress coat vs Prime

Hey guys i have a 50 gallon tank that ive been using stability in for a week because the guy at the fish store told me it would keep all the neccessary stuff in the water but i put 2 new oscars in yesterday and they were doing great but today they look lathargic, so im wanting to do a water change but i dont wanna do it too soon after adding prime to the water i have ready, how long should i wait after adding primeto the water im going to use to do a water change?

• S.S.
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • "Failure is giving anything less than your best"
  • Thank you received: 15

S.S. replied the topic: Re:RE: Stress coat vs Prime

Skywalkstr95 wrote: Hey guys i have a 50 gallon tank that ive been using stability in for a week because the guy at the fish store told me it would keep all the neccessary stuff in the water but i put 2 new oscars in yesterday and they were doing great but today they look lathargic, so im wanting to do a water change but i dont wanna do it too soon after adding prime to the water i have ready, how long should i wait after adding primeto the water im going to use to do a water change?

You should open your one topic and describe better the setup. Besides having a very small tank for Oscar's that you should consider upgrading ASAP the water may have some parameters not appropriate to Oscar's. What's the temperature and ph etc.?

"Tapatalking"

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Stress coat vs Prime

If you start another thread then there will be no confusion between the other poster.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Thank you received: 9

muddybear replied the topic: Stress coat vs Prime

Safe is definitely the way to go-far cheaper. 250g (8.8oz) treats 240,000 litres (60,000 usg) costs me £20. Nothing else comes close for quality or value!

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.120 seconds