Water Change Questions

• danperagine
  • danperagine's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

danperagine created the topic: Water Change Questions

Alright so its been a few weeks with my tank up, my Oscar is happy and healthy and he's got his beautiful 75 gallon all to himself as a baby right now. Got plenty of Artificial plants and hiding places. All my tests are coming out perfect, however I know a water change is approaching me. I plan to do like a 15-30% weekly change as its going to stay very crystal for the next few weeks being only a baby in there now. Can someone help me understand how to do my water changes, I have my gravel vacuum and a bathroom about 50 ft from the tank. I know I must vacuum the gravel and get some of the debris from there out while im draining some water. The tricky part is going to be the addition back of water, I understand you fill up buckets, use a water conditioner and have wait a few minutes to let the conditioner kind of settle, but the water will cool down by that point?! I need to add water that is 79 degrees without disrupting the temp to much, how is this easily done?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: Water Change Questions

hi there... first and foremost, if you want to know the quality of water, you will be needing a set of API liquid test kit...

(in my case, before i totally consumed the whole set... i had gained another level of knowing the quality of my water... via observation of my fish every time i test the water from weekly, 2 weeks, 3 weeks interval... now i can tell my water is bad by just observing my fish... without any test kit...)

doing the water change while your fish is still small will not harm your fish... in fact... that would be the best practice...

adding water back to the tank... i am more comfortable if you have stock water to allow chlorine disperse at the atmosphere... or use anti chlorine if direct from the faucet...

few degrees variance will n ot harm too as long as it is done gradually...

sammie replied the topic: Re:Water Change Questions

I have one oscar in a 75 also. Had him in there since he was 1.5inches. Now 10".

I change water once a week. And i take the water level down basically as far as I can. Then I hook up a garden hose to the sink and fill it that way. I use seachem prime for a conditioner.

My oscar is very healthy with this routine.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

• Thank you received: 581

Suprd71 replied the topic: Re:Water Change Questions

Crystal clear water doesnt mean healthy water. You cant see harmful elements in the water. The cleaner you keep water, the better your fish will do. Even as a small fish an Oscar produces a lot of waste. The vac you are doing is essential, but you need to get the mindset of doing more volume with water changes. Take it down as far as you can.. 75% or more. Get a Python water changer. It attaches to any faucet, drains with good suction for vac, and refills. No labor of bucketing water. The routine is drain/vac, add conditioner, refill. You will get used to temperature matching with experience

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• danperagine
  • danperagine's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

danperagine replied the topic: Re:Water Change Questions

@suprd71 how can I accurately replace the water closest to the temperature in the tank?

• Thank you received: 581

Suprd71 replied the topic: Re:Water Change Questions

Its far from an exact science, and doesnt have to be bang on. I, from experience can do it just by touch. Stick your fingers in the tank, then the incoming water. Close is good. Accurate thermometer will help. Watch the tank as its filling. If temp fluctuates high or low from normal, adjust incoming accordingly. One thing I dont do is make water several degrees colder than normal. Heaters will run constant after plugging back in to regain the setting. This will lead to shortened heater life. If anything, my water changes are slightly higher(1-2 degrees) than normal. Then your heater wont come on until the tank naturally drops to its regular temp.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.114 seconds