Oscar not eating/Spitting out food

• Noah
  • Noah's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Noah created the topic: Oscar not eating/Spitting out food

Hey
My Oscar is around 5in and I've had him for around 2 and a half months, he is in a 150L tank (I know I will have to upgrade eventually) with no tank mates.
Over the past 4 days when I've gone to feed him and he has been enthusiastic to be fed and quickly swims to the pellet as soon as it is dropped in the tank. But as soon as the pellet is in his mouth he spits it out and doesn't even attempt to chew or eat it. Its not that he wants to eat another pellet in the tank because I only drop one in at a time. he will eat and spit out the same pellet around three times before losing interest in it.
I cant think of any thing that would have changed for him to do this apart from i added a small air stone into the tank a day or two before he started spitting out food but seems unlikely. I know Oscars often go off eating for a few days just getting a few too many for my liking.

water quality
nitrite: 0ppm
ammonia: 0ppm
nitrate: 0-5ppm

Cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Oscar not eating/Spitting out food

Hi and welcome to our community. This is something that a lot of us have experienced with our Oscars so you are certainly not in the minority when it comes to your Oscar being fussy with its food. Your water looks good, although nitrate is a little bit low in my opinion. Have you carried out the nitrate test properly? It depends on what test you are using, it is a liquid test then it normally involves shaking the second bottle for 30 seconds and then shaking the vial for at least a minute in order to get a correct nitrate reading.

What we normally recommend in cases like this is you stop feeding for about two days, put absolutely nothing in the tank whatsoever. Don't worry about the fish, no harm will come to it, fish can go for absolutely weeks upon end without food and they won't suffer at all. After a couple of days drop a pellet in and see how the Oscar reacts. There's a very good chance that he will eat it because you will be hungry. You could also try introducing other foods such as some bloodworm, or maybe some chopped prawns, or chopped mussels or cockles.

If you could try this and let us know what happens. During the couple of days when you are not feeling don't let the fish make you think that it's going to die because it's so hungry, there's a good chance it will really beg for food, you mustn't give then.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

• Thank you received: 581

Suprd71 replied the topic: Oscar not eating/Spitting out food

Welcome to OFL. Very common what you are experiencing. Be aware also that there is a stress factor that affects fish in cramped quarters. You are aware you need a bigger tank, I would suggest the time is now. Oscar is a cichlid that does not react well to confined spaces.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Noah
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Noah replied the topic: Oscar not eating/Spitting out food

ok thanks sounds like a good idea I wont feed him for a day or two see how he reacts
thanks

• Noah
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

the tank is 3 times wider than him and many times longer than him at this time surely he doesn't feel cramped yet?

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: Oscar not eating/Spitting out food

there are times fish does not want his pellets...

i had tried to experiment different kinds of pellets with my oscar community tank... whenever i dump tilapia booster, they eagerly chomps and fight for position... and i a matter of minute, pellets are gone... then 2 days later, i dump pellets for my flowerhorn... yes.. the chomps but spit out immediately... not sure why but they did... i remove the FH pellets and throw some tilapia booster, they consumed it unlike with the FH pellets...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

• Noah
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

I waited a day and a half and tried a pellet again and still had no luck, so today I tried giving him some blood worms and he ate them very fast. so he's refusing the pellets but not the blood worms.

will he eventually go back onto eating pellets or will I have to keep feeding him blood worms and other foods?

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: Oscar not eating/Spitting out food

starving the fish is one way to train them eat whatever pellet is available...
but sometimes, trying different kind of pellets help us find what our oscar likes...

• Noah
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

so I waited for days without dropping anything into the tank and still had no luck. So I went to the LFS who kindly gave me a few samples of different foods (larger size, sinking pellet and krill) and that only achieved him holding it in his mouth a 1/4 of a second longer the first time he tried the new pellets then just spitting them back out. Its been 2 weeks and he has only eaten half a block of blood worms.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.143 seconds